To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders
Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications
| Last updated
The Queen is set to miss today's Remembrance service after injuring her back.
The 95-year-old was due to lay a wreath at the Cenotaph in London alongside the country's senior politicians including Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer.
A statement from Buckingham Palace said it was with 'great regret' that the Queen had to take the decision and that Prince Charles will take her place.
It read: "The Queen, having sprained her back, has decided this morning with great regret that she will not be able to attend today's Remembrance Sunday Service at the Cenotaph.
"Her Majesty is disappointed that she will miss the service.
"As in previous years, a wreath will be laid on Her Majesty's behalf by the Prince of Wales.
"His Royal Highness, along with the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, the Earl and Countess of Wessex, the Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra will be present at the Cenotaph today as planned."
The Palace also reportedly said that her sprained back had nothing to do with previous medical advice the Queen received recently to rest.
Last month, the British Monarch was advised by her doctors to rest for the next two weeks and only undertake 'desk-based duties', Buckingham Palace has announced.
The development came after she underwent tests in hospital and cancelled her two-day trip to Northern Ireland.
In a statement at the time, Buckingham Palace said the Queen had the 'firm intention' of attending the Remembrance Sunday service.
It read: "Following on from their recent advice that the Queen should rest for a few days, Her Majesty's doctors have advised that she should continue to rest for at least the next two weeks.
"The doctors have advised that Her Majesty can continue to undertake light, desk-based duties during this time, including some virtual audiences, but not to undertake any official visits.
"Her Majesty regrets that this means she will be unable to attend the Festival of Remembrance on Saturday, November 13.
"However, it remains The Queen's firm intention to be present for the National Service of Remembrance on Remembrance Sunday, on November 14."
The monarch, who lived through the Second World War as a teenager, is head of the armed forces and attaches great importance to the poignant service and to commemorating the sacrifices made by fallen servicemen and women.
The Queen has only missed six other Cenotaph ceremonies during her reign: on four occasions when she was on overseas visits to Ghana in 1961, Brazil in 1968, Kenya in 1983 and South Africa in 1999.
She was not present during the 1959 and 1963 services as she was pregnant with her two youngest children.
Featured Image Credit: Alamy
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read