Advert

Latest

Spain Orders Closure Of All Nightclubs And Bars In Bid To Slow Coronavirus Spread
published atin an hour
Advert
Advert

Most Popular

Advert
News

This LAD, 15, Saved A Grandma And Baby From A House Fire

This LAD, 15, Saved A Grandma And Baby From A House Fire

When you're a teenager, even getting up in the morning or coping with getting dumped are Big Things to deal with, never mind having to keep a cool head in a genuine emergency.

Massive props then to one heroic schoolboy who rescued a baby and a grandmother after their house set on fire one morning in Carshalton, south London.

Jack Wood, 15, rushed into the flaming house to help the pair after he spotted the fire while he was walking to school this past Monday (5 March).

Credit: Emma Wood
Credit: Emma Wood
Advert

Jack had already run home to tell his mum to call for help, deciding to dive into the blaze himself before the London Fire Brigade arrived just after 9am, the Sutton Guardian reported.

Jack's mum Emma, 34, said: "Jack left to go to school and I was just going out shortly after, so I had my other two children [Freddie and Freya] ready to leave the house.

"Jack left the house and he came running back in saying, 'Mum, mum, Cheryl's house is on fire!'

"I called the fire brigade and said, 'What do you mean?' But by the time I could get out there he was already in the house getting the baby out."

Advert

According to Emma, Jack successfully managed to bring the baby out to her before re-entering the house to help out the old lady inside.

More Like This

1 of 6

Brave Jack, a pupil at The Limes College in nearby Sutton, then went back into the house a third time to put out the fire himself.

WATCH BEAR GRYLLS LIGHT A FIRE ON THIS MORNING:

Advert

Jack, the grandma and the baby were all later taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. Thankfully, all three are now reported to be doing A-OK.

In fact, Jack's even said to have been spotted 'out and about' with his mates again just a day or two after it all went down. What a champ.

A London Fire Brigade spokeswoman confirmed: "We were called to a fire at a residential property in Wellow Walk at 9am this morning.

"One man, one woman, and one child were taken to hospital by the London Ambulance Service with smoke inhalation.

Advert

"The fire was under control by 9.05am."

Even the most experienced fire fighters have admitted to a quite understandable fear of running headfirst into blazes but it looks like Jack's courageous action saved the day. We've no idea if he's ever considered a career as a firefighter, but on this evidence, it's easy to see why he might.

Featured Image Credit: Emma Wood/PA

Topics: uk news, News, Teenager, London

Chris Ogden

Chris Ogden is a journalist at LADbible. He graduated from the University of East Anglia with degrees in English Literature and Creative Writing before completing his NCTJ Diploma in Multimedia Journalism. Chris has previously written for the independent culture magazine The Skinny, among other publications.