To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Woman's Flat Becomes Infested With Flies And Maggots After Neighbour's Death

Woman's Flat Becomes Infested With Flies And Maggots After Neighbour's Death

'It was like something out of a horror film.'

Claire Reid

Claire Reid

A young mum's flat became infested with flies and maggots after her neighbour died and lay undiscovered for weeks.

Beau Marr, who lives in the one-bed flat in Leeds, said her flat looked like something from a horror film as the bugs took over her pad.

Beau is currently on maternity leave and has been unable to live in her home for 17 days. She has also had to fork out around £400 ($514) to replace baby clothes, a cot and food. She is now currently looking to be rehoused after 'being let down' by her landlord.

Credit: BBC

She said: "I'm living on a tight budget at the moment with a young baby and I've had to replace clothes, a changing mat and bottle brush. I'm sorry but anyone who has any hygiene is not going to let your child wear clothes that have had maggots on them, that have come from a dead body.

"I think I have probably spent £400 just on clothes and food, that's without even going into the flat and trying to see what is salvageable and what isn't.

Credit: SWNS

"It was like something out of a horror film, I have never seen anything like it. It shook and shocked me. I get up every day and burst into tears thinking I have to go through the trauma yet again.

"If anyone else went through this situation I would be trying to help them. People are so quick to judge you but I'm trying to get my voice heard and people are being so heartless thinking I'm speaking out for attention.

"I want people to see social housing for what it really is, I thought enough is enough."

Credit: SWNS

It was one of Beau's other neighbours who got to the bottom of the 'overwhelming smell' coming from the flat.

"After ringing police they told her to look through the letterbox where she saw him dead in the hallway," Beau said.

"From what I have been told he had laid there for a good couple of weeks. His body was badly decomposed.

Credit: SWNS

"I decided to stay with friends and family while the smell filtered out. I contacted the housing association and the officer said they didn't even know he had passed away, I was the first person to tell them."

After returning to her home she found the place infested with the bugs.

She said: "The maggots had come through cracks in the ceiling and because they had had free rein of the flat they were in the baby's clothes, my clothes.

"We went back on the Saturday to give the flat a clean but it was an absolute state.

Credit: SWNS

"I was trying to clean the best I could but there were cases ready to hatch everywhere you looked. After the fumigation, the flat was covered in flies and they were still flies flying in the air."

The Sanctuary Group, which owns the flats, said it was made aware of the death on 2nd August, adding that it wouldn't be charging Beau rent for the period she wasn't living in the property and would cover her living costs while she had had to stay with family and friends.

Featured Image Credit: SWNS