Advert

People Are Speaking Out In #NotAllMenButAllWomen Movement Following Sarah Everard Death

Published 
| Last updated 

People Are Speaking Out In #NotAllMenButAllWomen Movement Following Sarah Everard Death

People across the country are condemning the male mistreatment of women following the death of Sarah Everard.

The 33-year-old was last seen walking home from her friend's house in Clapham on 3 March, and human remains found in woodland in Kent have now been identified as hers.

A serving Met Police officer remains in custody after being arrested on suspicion of Sarah's kidnap and murder.

Her tragic and shocking death has sparked outcry across the country and people are condemning the abuse and harassment of women under the hashtag #NotAllMenButAllWomen.

Advert
Credit: Twitter
Credit: Twitter

In a short clip, actor Simon Pegg said: "It seems to me that women are constantly given the sort of guidelines to avoid being sexually harassed that families are given when they drive into a safari park.

"Except the difference is, the world is a safari park where you could actually tell the monkeys to stop being f*****g a***holes."

Advert

One person wrote: "All that the #Notallmen hashtag does it to dismiss the experiences of women and girls who have faced sexual violence or harassment. Of course we know that not every man is responsible but it is important to discuss misogyny and to amplify women's voices. #notallmenbutallwomen."

Another added: "I love that we're using our voices for #notallmenbutallwomen but I am exhausted. We have been saying this stuff since we were kids and we have suffered through decades of being told to smile, whilst screaming at a brick wall, just asking to be treated like a human being."

A third added: "#NotAllMen trending so soon after such a public case of an abduction & murder of a young woman is highly insensitive. There is not 1 woman I know personally who's boundaries have not been overstepped by a man in some capacity. Maybe listen more men?! #notallmenbutallwomen."

Advert


Appealing for information yesterday (Thursday), Sarah's family described her as 'a shining example to all of us'.

They said: "Sarah was bright and beautiful - a wonderful daughter and sister. She was kind and thoughtful, caring and dependable. She always put others first and had the most amazing sense of humour.

"She was strong and principled and a shining example to us all. We are very proud of her and she brought so much joy to our lives."

A vigil had been organised in remembrance of Sarah, to take place tomorrow (Saturday 13 March).

Advert

However, the Met Police said that the Reclaim These Streets event will not be able to go ahead because of coronavirus restrictions.

The organisers have now said they plan to challenge the ban in the High Court.


In a statement, they said: "Our lawyers have now written to the Metropolitan Police, challenging the Metropolitan Police's interpretation of coronavirus legislation, when taken together with the human rights act.

Advert

"Should the judge decide in our favour, our Clapham vigil will be allowed to go ahead."

Featured Image Credit: Met Police

Topics: Viral, UK News, Community

Jake Massey
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Entertainment

Richard Madeley Leaves I'm A Celebrity After Being Admitted To Hospital

2 days ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

News

I'm A Celebrity Cancelled For Two Nights Due To Storm Arwen

an hour ago