Advert

Latest

Jeremy Clarkson Nearly Got Attacked By Sharks When Filming The Grand Tour
published at24 minutes ago
Advert
Advert

Most Popular

Advert
News

Five-Year-Old Girl Left With Severe Blisters After Brush With Giant Hogweed

Five-Year-Old Girl Left With Severe Blisters After Brush With Giant Hogweed

A mum has warned about a dangerous plant growing in the UK after her daughter was left with incredibly painful blisters.

Rebecca Barnes appeared on ITV News to talk about how her two children required hospital treatment after coming into contact with the poisonous giant hogweed.

It's considered one of the most dangerous plants in Britain, and can grow to more than 20 feet tall.

Barnes' seven-year-old son Reggie and five-year-old daughter Roma had to be taken to Salisbury District Hospital after they encountered the giant hogweed when playing outside.

Advert
Credit: ITV News
Credit: ITV News

Roma was left with horrific blisters, but if either had got the plant in their eyes, they could have been left permanently blinded.

Kids might run into the plant whilst playing outside, and because it is hollow, it makes an excellent improvised plaything.

However, the sap is incredibly harmful, and could leave children with scars, blisters, or worse.

Advert

Toxic sap within the plant is known to react with sunlight which causes chemical burns on the skin. Rebecca first got wind of the situation when she noticed that Roma's skin was red, but her condition deteriorated after a day spent in the sunshine.

Credit: ITV News
Credit: ITV News

Now, she wants to increase awareness amongst other parents of what the plant is capable of.

She explained: "It's not commonly warned about which I think it needs to be.

More Like ThisMore Like This

1 of 6
News

Eight-Year-Old Girl Accidentally Spends £3,000 Of Her Grandparents' Money On Roblox

Advert
News

Student Left With Severe Bruises After Using Blackhead Remover

published at3 months ago

"On public footpaths there needs to be pictures of it, because if the sap gets into your eyes it can cause permanent blindness."

Roma was the child most affected by her brush with the plant, and now will have to keep bandages on her arms and legs for several months, but perhaps even years.

Credit: ITV News
Credit: ITV News

Her mum continued: "For at least six months, but up to seven years as sun protection won't be enough.

Advert

"I'm just praying that the scarring isn't left because it can obviously leave really bad scars."

The giant hogweed is particularly bad this year because it is flourishing, according to Guy Barter from the Royal Horticultural Society.

Barter told The Sun: "It likes damp soil, it likes riparian areas next to rivers and of course this winter we had an awful lot of rain - one of the wettest winters on record."

Credit: ITV News
Credit: ITV News
Advert

"Rivers were high, that picked up the seeds and fragments of plants and spread them out along water courses."

An expert from the Rivers Trust also said: "It is, without a shadow of a doubt, the most dangerous plant in Britain."

Featured Image Credit: PA

Topics: Environment, UK News, Weird

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Boris Johnson Says People Who Test Negative For Covid-19 Could Be Released From Tier 3 Restrictions
published at4 days ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

News

First Look At Super Nintendo World Set To Open On 4 February

published at2 hours ago

Tom Wood

Tom Wood is a LADbible journalist and Twin Peaks enthusiast. Despite having a career in football cut short by a chronic lack of talent, he managed to obtain degrees from both the University of London and Salford. According to his French teacher, at the weekends he mostly likes to play football and go to the park with his brother. Contact Tom on editorial@ladbible.com