Advert

Latest

Pensioners Whose TV Stopped Village's Internet From Working Get To Speak To Piers Morgan
published atin an hour
Advert
Advert

Most Popular

Advert
News

Australian Woman Nearly Blinded After Lip Filler Procedure Goes Badly Wrong

Australian Woman Nearly Blinded After Lip Filler Procedure Goes Badly Wrong

An Australian woman almost went blind after her lip fillers burst and she swallowed the solution.

Mikayla Stutchbery decided that she wanted to have the treatment, which sees liquid filler injected into the lips in order to make them appear more plump, after a few of her friends had it done.

However, the procedure - which took place at the Laser Clinics Australia Outlet - went badly wrong when the lip filler was 'injected into her arteries'.

Advert

Doctors have said that she was lucky that the consequences of the botched treatment weren't much worse.

Mikayla Stuchberry. Credit: A Current Affair/Nine News
Mikayla Stuchberry. Credit: A Current Affair/Nine News

She told Nine News: "There was a part where I got blisters and they burst, and I started swallowing the filler and passed out.

"You see horror stories on TV, but assume that would never happen to you, until it actually does."

Advert

Mikayla also claims that the cosmetic mishap cost her a job as a disability worker. Because of the treatment the doctors gave her antibiotics to ease the infection, but she was allergic to the medicine they gave her.

That meant that she was forced to take two weeks out of work, which eventually cost her the job.

As you can see, it went pretty badly wrong. Credit: Nine News/A Current Affair
As you can see, it went pretty badly wrong. Credit: Nine News/A Current Affair

More Like ThisMore Like This

1 of 6
Teenager, 18, Left With 'Sausage Lips' After Filler Treatment Goes Wrong
News

Teenager, 18, Left With 'Sausage Lips' After Filler Treatment Goes Wrong

Despite that unfortunate consequence, Professor Mark Ashton - a former President of the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons - told the TV cameras that she'd been really lucky.

Advert

He said: "In my opinion, there is little doubt that this poor girl has had filler injected into the arteries supplying her upper lip. That filler has then gone on to cause tissue death.

"It could have gone up into her face, up along the side of the nose and into her eye, and she could have been rendered blind instantaneously."

Professor Mark Ashton said it could have been worse. Credit: Nine News/A Current Affair
Professor Mark Ashton said it could have been worse. Credit: Nine News/A Current Affair

The clinic has released a statement in which they denied any wrongdoing.

Advert

The statement said: "Laser Clinics totally rejects Ms Stutchbery's allegations.

"There is no medical evidence that the Laser Clinics treatment caused any infection."

They also added that the clinic 'followed all appropriate clinical procedures mandated by Laser Clinics', adding: "There is no report or finding to the contrary that has been brought to the attention of Laser Clinics to suggest any error."

Cosmetic doctor Daniel Lanzar, who was one of the pioneers behind bringing the lip filler treatment to Australia more than 20 years ago, has expressed his concern about the number of clinics offering the treatment.

Advert

He also told Nine News that he 'never envisaged' services 'that should really be done in a medical room' being performed in clinics based in shopping centres.

Featured Image Credit: Nine News/A Current Affair

Topics: World News, Australia

Tom Wood

Tom Wood is a LADbible journalist and Twin Peaks enthusiast. Despite having a career in football cut short by a chronic lack of talent, he managed to obtain degrees from both the University of London and Salford. According to his French teacher, at the weekends he mostly likes to play football and go to the park with his brother. Contact Tom on [email protected]