Man Swallowed Lighter That 'Could Have Exploded At Any Time'
A bizarre video has emerged from China of a doctor working to remove a lighter from inside a man who managed to swallow it. Check out the kinda gross footage (don't say we didn't warn you) in the clip below:
The lighter's fuel had leaked into the 25-year-old man's stomach after he swallowed it, but he wasn't rushed to hospital until three days after the initial incident.
Dr Liu Xi, who was responsible for removing the partially eroded lighter, said: "If he had come across any flames, an explosion would have been highly likely, and that would have killed him."
The patient attended the No. 5 People's Hospital of Shenyang, Liaoning Province, last Friday morning, having complained of vomiting and constant stomach ache, according to Liaoshen Evening News.
Tending to the man, Dr Liu said that he could smell fuel as soon as he opened his mouth. Nice.
The patient claimed to have ingested the lighter three days before his admission into hospital while he was out drinking with his mates.
Believing the object would pass, he tried to ignore it and then two days later he went out again drinking - with the device still well and truly lodged in place.
A medical check revealed that part of the lighter had began to erode thanks to the man's gastric acid, which led to the highly flammable liquid spilling out.
More Like ThisMore Like This
Two ulcers were also discovered in the man's stomach and Dr Liu made arrangements to carry out emergency surgery on the anonymous man.
The medic explained: "We initially used forceps to retrieve [the lighter], but failed after a few attempts. Then we tried with a snare to slowly secure the lighter while adjusting the angle for the pull."
Still, you may think a lighter is pretty bad but nothing could prepare doctors for what they pulled out of one woman's stomach earlier this year. Brace yourself:
The baffled hospital staff removed a whopping 1.6kg hoard of golden metal jewellery, trinkets, money and a watch.
The 22-year-old patient had suffered abdominal pain and been sick after every meal for a week before she was admitted to hospital.
Sonography and x-ray tests revealed metal in her stomach - so surgeons at Rampurhat Government Medical College and Hospital, in India, operated to remove it.
Surgeons removed chains, nose rings, earrings, trinkets, bangles and anklets during the 75-minute procedure, which also revealed 90 coins and a wristwatch.
Can people just stop swallowing things they're not meant to now, please?
Featured Image Credit: Newsflare