ESPN And ABC Pull Apex Legends Tournament From TV Following US Mass Shootings
This weekend, ESPN and ABC were due to broadcast a highlights programme of a recent Apex Legends tournament. Both broadcasters have decided to pull the programme "out of respect for the victims" of the recent mass shootings in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio. This change to their schedule follows remarks made by President Donald Trump that drew a connection between violent video games and mass shootings.
The XGames Apex Legends EXP Invitational took place earlier this month in Minneapolis and was going to be broadcast on both channels this Sunday. Now ESPN will play the highlights programme on ESPN2 on October 6. ABC has not announced plans to broadcast the programme at a later date.
"Out of respect for the victims and all those impacted by the recent shootings, ABC will no longer air 'EXP Invitational APEX Legends at X Games' on Sunday, August 11, 2019 in the 4:00 - 5:00 PM ET / 1:00 - 4:00 PM PT time period," ABC said in a letter, published by esports consultant Rod Breslau. "E:60 - Forever Broncos' will now air in the same time period."
On Monday, Trump said in a response to the mass shootings of the weekend before, that claimed the lives of more than 30 people, that America would need to make changes. "This includes the gruesome and grisly video games that are now commonplace. It is too easy today for troubled youth to surround themselves with a culture that celebrates violence. We must stop or substantially reduce this."
While the government hasn't made any actions in the past week to support what the President said on Monday, companies have taken their own steps. ESPN and ABC, for instance, but also Walmart. The general store has taken down signs and displays for violent video games. Walmart is, however, still selling guns. In 2016 there were more than 200 violent crimes committed in Walmart, including stabbings, attempted kidnappings, and murders. None of those crimes were committed with video games.
Featured Image Credit: EA