Galaxy Note 7 Users Urged To Turn In Their Dangerous Smartphones
| Last updated
Samsung users are being urged to turn their Galaxy Note 7 in as soon as possible, as several dozens of them have now caught on fire.
The company has so far confirmed 35 cases of its devices catching fire, most of these occurring while the phone was being charged.
The South Korean electronics giant said yesterday that because of a problem with the Galaxy Note 7 battery, it would halt sales of the new device around the world.
The company is also recalling and replacing all phones already sold.
Samsung Note 7 Caught Fire via /r/Android @batt05 https://t.co/Ba3TfJduH4 pic.twitter.com/d0WtN5h9md
- ⚛☠ PhilUSB ☠:tm:⚛ ⚜420⚜ (@philusb) August 31, 2016
Angry social media users have shared photographs of charred smartphones after the devices had burst into flames while charging.
Samsung plans to provide Galaxy Note 7 devices with new batteries, starting in South Korea on 19 September.
"We again express our sincere apologies to our customers who value our products," Samsung said in a statement.
The US Federal Aviation Administration issued a warning earlier this week to aeroplane passengers, asking them not to turn on or charge the phone on planes, due to the risk it posed.
Similarly, Australian airlines Qantas, Jetstar and Virgin Australia have already banned passengers from using or recharging the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 during flights.
Image credit: PA Images