| Last updated
As if watching people dangling from extreme heights surrounded by fire wasn't anxiety-inducing enough... When this happened on America's Got Talent we couldn't bear to watch:
Viewers of the American talent show were left shocked on Tuesday evening when a trapeze artist suddenly plummeted to the ground after her partner lost his grip in the middle of their daring trapeze act.
The act, Duo Transcend, also known as married couple Mary and Tyce, took to the stage on Tuesday's live show after previously wowing judges at their audition in June.
With a bed of fire beneath them, the couple had everybody on the edge of their seats as they began twisting, turning and tumbling about, with only the support of a trapeze bar to hold them.
The daring duo took it it to the next level when Tyce, who is blind in one eye due a progressive eye disease, donned a blindfold in what was supposed to be the grande finale of the act.
An upside-down Tyce hung from the bar as Mary prepared to slide down his body, expecting to be saved at the last minute.
But as she slid Tyce lost his grip, causing Mary to slip through his fingers like a silk ribbon, hitting the ground with an almighty thud.
Thankfully there was a safety mat - hooray for health safety requirements.
Audience members screamed in horror, joined by along along with a panel of horrified judges - Simon Cowell, Mel B, Heidi Klum, Howie Mandel and guest judge Ken Jeong as the act dangerously unraveled before their eyes.
Thankfully Mary eventually returned to her feet, reassuring that she was fine, appearing to be suffering nothing more than sheepishness.
Concerned husband Tyce was lowered to the ground where he gave his wife a kiss of of condolence as the audience cheered.
But despite the freak accident that just took place, the brave pair asked if they could give their blindfolded finale another shot. Bloody hell.
The judges, who gave the pair a standing ovation, couldn't believe their ears and insisted they had nothing left to prove.
Guest judge Ken Jeong snapped: "It's not America's Got Perfection, this is America's Got Talent. No one can do this. I mean, it's OK!"
"You nearly broke your neck. And the fact that you're nearly blind makes this incredible," Simon added.
A dumbfounded Howie answered: "You almost got hurt very badly and your first thought was, 'Let me do that again'. Only on America's Got Talent does that happen."
So the two left the stage in one piece and were lucky enough to make it through to the next round.
If that's not playing with fire, we don't know what is...
Words by Megan Walsh
Featured Image Credit: NBC / America's Got Talent
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read