LAD's Phone Explodes In His Pocket And Sets His Jeans On Fire

When it comes to technology, there's a lot of shit that is forced down our throats. There are tips to keep battery levels up, myths that claim your phone will die more quickly if you charge it at night, dubious energy-saving advice and so on. However, since there's so much, and a lot of it turns out to be bullshit, we end up ignoring the majority of it.

For example, how many times have you been told about, or seen an example of a phone battery blowing up? Probably a few times, but it's our God-given right to be ignorant and naive towards it all, so we take no notice. Pay attention to these LADs, then, as they witnessed first hand just how easily a phone can explode:

His jeans continued to burn. Credit: Supplied

Andy Spence tells LADbible that his colleague had to shout for help as he noticed smoke coming from his pocket.

"I was away in one room and could here somebody shouting for help over the noise of me working, so I ran out of the room and he was there with his jeans smoking really badly and his phone on the floor, red hot," Andy told LADbible. "He had been working up a step ladder when he noticed the room filling with smoke so he looked down and could see three- or four-inch flames coming from his pocket and his leg getting warm.

"He panicked got down the ladders and called for help - luckily, somebody had a bottle of water to hand and threw it over his leg so he could get his phone out of his pocket.

"He was obviously a bit shaken up. The battery was facing outwards and burnt through his jeans. If it was the other way round, God knows what it would have done to his leg."

The unfortunate fellow managed to walk away unscathed, although he was down a Samsung A3 phone.

Credit: Supplied

However, you can only imagine that the phone must have reached quite a ridiculous temperature to burn its way through denim, which kind of makes you not want to put your own phone in your jeans ever again.

There's no explanation for why phones randomly catch fire, though it is directly caused by the battery. This could be to do with charging, it being in a hot place, being too old, or a combination of these.

Owch, though.

Featured Image Credit: Supplied

Mark McGowan

Mark is a journalist at LADbible, who joined in 2015 after a year as a freelance writer. In the past he blogged for independent football fan channel Redmen TV, after graduating from Staffordshire University with degrees in journalism and English literature. He has worked on campaigns such as UOKM8? and IIOC.

Next Up

arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up camera clock close comment cursor email facebook-messenger facebook Instagram link new-window phone play share snapchat submit twitter vine whatsapp logoInline safari-pinned-tab Created by potrace 1.11, written by Peter Selinger 2001-2013