Several People Hospitalised After Someone Spiked Birthday Cake With Weed In Victoria

When people take drugs, they do so (hopefully) by weighing up the risks and rewards of the substance. When people don't know that they're going to be taking drugs is when shit well and truly hits the fan.

There's nothing worse than enjoying a drink or some food and then all of a sudden the walls are melting or you find yourself unable to stop dancing.

Well that's exactly what happened to a Victorian family when someone laced a birthday cake with weed for a family meal.

Credit: PA
Credit: PA

A woman rang radio station 3AW and explained the bizarre story.

"Everyone was having a lovely time and cake was passed around at dessert with fruit and cream and some nice little chocolate chunks sprinkled over it," she said.

"It turns out the chocolate chunks contained marijuana.

"The effect was not immediate which I now know is the case with edibles. I've learned all about marijuana and edibles. Within an hour I was experiencing throat swelling and dizziness, within three hours myself and four other family members were hospitalised with overdose

"Within three hours myself and four other family members (some aged in their 80s) were hospitalised. One was vomiting, the other had an extremely high heart rate," she said.

"We were all terrified because we didn't know for some hours what was going on. We don't know the quantities in it. It's very unusual to have such severe reactions and no one ate a lot of chocolate, it was just sprinkled over the dessert."

She added that the paramedics who attended to the Victorian house found it a bit difficult to treat them because they were all talking gibberish.

The prankster, a man in his 20s, ended up confessing to his devilish plot, giving the family members still lucid the ability to tell the paramedics about what was going on.

She reckons someone did it to 'liven up' the party and was designed as a prank. It's one thing to do a cheeky prank and another to send a couple of people to the hospital because they don't know which way is up.

The woman says it affected her for several days after the party and her husband had to take time off work.

So take that as a lesson: don't spike your family with weed, especially if they're all a lot older than you. It'll most likely end in vomit and a call to the emergency services.

Featured Image Credit: PA

Stewart Perrie

Stewart Perrie is a Trending Journalist at LADbible. His first job was as a newsreader and journalist at the award winning Sydney radio station, Macquarie Radio. He was solely responsible for the content broadcast on multiple stations across Australia when the MH17, Germanwings and AirAsia disasters unfolded. Stewart has covered the conflict in Syria for LADbible, interviewing a doctor on the front line, and has contributed to the hugely successful UOKM8 campaign.

Next Up

arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up camera clock close comment cursor email facebook-messenger facebook Instagram link new-window phone play share snapchat submit twitter vine whatsapp logoInline safari-pinned-tab Created by potrace 1.11, written by Peter Selinger 2001-2013