Man who had been on the run for six weeks gets caught after ordering Uber Eats
| Last updated
A man who was on the run for six weeks has finally been caught after making an Uber Eats order.
The Daily Mail reported that Mate Stipinovich had been arrested after authorities found him hiding in a back patio spa when they raided his Byford home in south Perth earlier this week.
The man is accused of leading police on a six-week chase over his alleged role in smuggling 365kg of cocaine into Western Australia earlier this year.
But, after the man made an Uber Eats order to his address using his real name, police finally got the break in the case they needed.
According to the Daily Mail, police revealed they found Stipinovich hiding under a ‘secret compartment’ beneath a spa in the back patio after smashing one of his windows to gain access to the property.
A loaded gun was also placed next to him as he hid.
"We just heard a voice over from police saying stay inside your house," one witness told 9News.
"We weren't sure what was going on and we checked the cameras and there was three Territory Response Group guys in our backyard."
On February 1, Stipinovich was onboard a boat that had sunk near Eclipse Island, 17km south of Albany in Western Australia's south.
The man, along with his complices Aristides Avlonitis and Karl Whitburn (who were believed to be fishing), set off their EPIRB during the emergency, as per ABC News.
The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) initially praised the men for their life-saving equipment.
However, things took an unexpected turn six days later when police alleged they found 365 kg of cocaine aboard the sunken boat.
They believe that the drugs were collected on the waters and then loaded onto the boat.
Following the substance being seized, police found Avlonitis in Darwin last month, while Whitburn was located in Perth's northeast a couple of weeks ago.
All men have been charged with importing a commercial quantity of a border-controlled drug.
Stipinovich appeared in court yesterday (March 23) and made no application for bail.
He will remain in custody until his next appearance in court in April.
The Australian Federal Police said it was one of the largest cocaine busts in the state they had seen in the past two decades.