ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Families Are Waiting For Up To 30 Hours In Massive Queues To Go To France At Dover
Home>News
Published 16:54 23 Jul 2022 GMT+1

Families Are Waiting For Up To 30 Hours In Massive Queues To Go To France At Dover

Some 10,000 cars were expected at Dover today, with more than 13,000 passengers said to be ‘on their way’ before 10am

Jess Hardiman

Jess Hardiman

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Families have been waiting for up to 30 hours in queues at Dover in an attempt to cross over to France, with people warned there is still a ‘way to go’ to clear the backlog at the busy port. 

After roads became gridlocked with traffic yesterday, 22 July, Doug Bannister, Chief Executive of the Port of Dover, said that five to six hour delays could still be the case today. 

Indeed, some 10,000 cars were expected at Dover on Saturday, 23 July, with more than 13,000 passengers said to be ‘on their way’ before 10.00am – many of whom are families hoping to mark the start of the school holidays with a trip abroad.

Cars queue at the Port of Dover.
Alamy

Advert

In an update earlier today, port authorities said they were ‘relieved that French border staff (Police Aux Frontieres) have now been fully mobilised at French border controls in Dover', but added: “There is of course a way to go to clear the backlog of waiting passengers.” 

The statement added: “Today is going to be very busy, with more UK tourists heading to Dover in order to travel to France.” 

Many frustrated travellers have reported delays of up to seven hours as they tried to get onto ferries, while others have claimed they’ve been waiting even longer – with one person tweeting to say they had been stuck at Dover for ‘30 hours’. 

“30 hours of waiting at Dover,” they wrote, tagging a number of media outlets to try and spread the word.  

“Why is it France's problems? We voted #Brexit.” 

30 hours of waiting at Dover. Why is it France's problems? We voted #Brexit. #r4today @bbcr4today @lbc

— Boris D'Burger-Zilla (@dozecat007) July 23, 2022

Stuck in the traffic near Dover for three hours so far (moved about 10m). Tempted to go car to car asking each driver whether they voted for Brexit.

— Paul Lewis (@PaulLewis17) July 23, 2022

We arrived 8am at Dover turning. It’s taken as nearly 7 hours so far still waiting at border control. 10 hour travel 😊

— melanie Snowden (@melanieSnowden4) July 22, 2022

Yesterday, Bannister said it was ‘immensely frustrating’ to be ‘let down’ by poor resourcing at the French border. 

He also said there will be ‘increased transaction times’ at the border due to extra checks needed. 

Speaking on the BBC Radio Four Today programme, he explained: “We are operating in a post-Brexit environment which does mean that passports need to be checked, they need to be stamped and indeed the capable people that do man the booths, police aux frontieres, they’re doing their job that they need to do now.” 

Bannister said the port had ‘created more border capacity so that the overall throughput can be maintained’, and that while ‘very peak busy days during the summer season’ are only to be expected, he believed that, for the most part, ‘we should be able to cope with the traffic’. 

However, French politician Pierre-Henri Dumont, Republican MP for Calais, has blamed the UK’s exit from the EU for the chaos. 

Speaking to BBC News, he said the issue was an ‘aftermath of Brexit’ with more checks needed, claiming the port at Dover is ‘too small’ with too few kiosks due to lack of space. 

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: UK News, Travel

Jess Hardiman
Jess Hardiman

Jess is Entertainment Desk Lead at LADbible Group. She graduated from Manchester University with a degree in Film Studies, English Language and Linguistics. You can contact Jess at [email protected].

X

@Jess_Hardiman

Recommended reads

Barclays, NatWest and Santander issue free £200 alert for simple lifestyle changeMike Kemp/In Pictures via Getty ImagesIan Watkins murder trial collapses as two prisoners accused of killing paedophile singer behind barsMarc Grimwade/Getty‘Most powerful weight-loss jab ever’ that outperforms Wegovy and Mounjaro shows insane resultsGetty Stock ImagesDanny Dyer goes full-frontal nude in X-rated new Rivals episodeDisney

Advert

  • EasyJet issues ominous delays statement as EU says 'expect queues' in two European holiday hotspots
  • Drivers waiting more than an hour to fill up as 90-car queues form at petrol stations
  • UK government issues new advice to holidaymakers as Brits given 23-day warning
  • Brits are holidaying in 'Thailand of Europe' to avoid EU border queues - and it costs just £35 to fly there

Choose your content:

21 mins ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • Marc Grimwade/Getty
    21 mins ago

    Ian Watkins murder trial collapses as two prisoners accused of killing paedophile singer behind bars

    Ian Watkins was serving a 29-year sentence for child sexual offences when he was stabbed to death in his cell

    News

    breaking

  • PA
    2 hours ago

    Mum of three sisters who died in Brighton beach tragedy also died of drowning

    Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walters, 32, and Rebecca Walters, 31, were found dead on 13 May

    News
  • Carl Recine/Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    England World Cup squad announced as Harry Maguire and five more huge stars miss out

    Thomas Tuchel has announced his 2026 World Cup squad

    News
  • Facebook
    4 hours ago

    Disturbing reason Chris Watts keeps photos of his murdered wife and daughters in his prison cell

    Chris Watts revealed how he 'talks to' the photos of his pregnant wife and two daughters, who he killed in 2018, from his cell

    News