• iconNews
  • videos
  • entertainment
  • Home
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • Australia
    • Ireland
    • World News
    • Weird News
    • Viral News
    • Sport
    • Technology
    • Science
    • True Crime
    • Travel
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV & Film
    • Netflix
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • TikTok
  • LAD Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube

LAD Entertainment

YouTube

LAD Stories

Submit Your Content
Buffalo Supermarket Shooter To Face Terror Charge After Attack In Black Neighbourhood

Home> News

Published 02:41 2 Jun 2022 GMT+1

Buffalo Supermarket Shooter To Face Terror Charge After Attack In Black Neighbourhood

The lone gunman is facing a life sentence, with a domestic terrorism charge now added to his list of accused crimes.

Rachel Lang

Rachel Lang

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A grand jury has charged the 18-year-old accused of opening fire at a Buffalo supermarket with domestic terrorism and 10 counts of murder.

Payton Gendron now faces 25 charges in total following the May 14 shooting in New York.

Those charges include murder, attempted murder, hate crimes, weapons possession, and now also a domestic terrorism motivated by hate charge.

Buffalo lawyer John Elmore, who is representing the families of victims Katherine Massey, 72, and Andre Mackniel, 53, said he hoped Gendron is convicted on every charge.

Advert

"This man was motivated by hate against people he never met for no reason other than the colour of their skin," he told AP.

REUTERS / Alamy Stock Photo

The 18-year-old from Conklin, New York, has pleaded not guilty.

Ten black people were killed in the Buffalo supermarket attack and three other people were injured.

Following the attack Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown said in a press conference that the attack appears to have been racially motivated.

"This individual came here with the express purpose of taking as many Black lives as he possibly could," Mayor Brown said, according to CNBC.

Authorities also found an 180-page manifesto allegedly by Gendron that detailed the killing spree.

According to AP, the manifesto was posted online and touted the racist ideology that the United States should belong only to white people.

In his manifesto, he reportedly repeatedly cited the ‘great replacement theory’, a white nationalist far-right conspiracy that non-white people are replacing white people in the world.

Gendron's latest charges come as the US continues to reel from back-to-back shootings.

The Buffalo shooting was followed by the Uvalde school shooting only 10 days later.

A memorial at the Tops supermarket in Buffalo.
REUTERS / Alamy Stock Photo

The two shootings have now renewed a debate into US gun reform, with President Joe Biden calling on lawmakers to 'stand up to the gun lobby'.

"Why are we willing to live with this carnage? Why do we keep letting this happen? Where in God’s name is our backbone to have the courage to deal with and stand up to the lobbyists," Biden said.

He added: "Why are we willing to keep living with this carnage? It is time to turn this pain into action. It's time to act."

Biden has previously called on Congress to take action on gun control legislation that would require universal background checks and a ban on assault weapons.

Nineteen children and two teachers were killed in the Uvalde shooting in Texas.

Featured Image Credit: REUTERS / Alamy Stock Photo

Topics: US News, Crime, Terrorism

Rachel Lang
Rachel Lang

Rachel Lang is a Digital Journalist at LADbible. During her career, she has interviewed Aussie PM Malcolm Turnbull in the lead up to the 2016 federal election, ran an editorial campaign on the war in Yemen, and reported on homelessness in the lead-up to Harry and Meghan’s wedding in Windsor. She also once wrote a yarn on the cheese and wine version of Fyre Festival.

X

@rlangjournalist

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • (YouTube/Brian Tyler Cohen)
    an hour ago

    Barack Obama clarifies his comments about aliens being ‘real’

    The former US President's comments sent people into a frenzy

    News
  • Sky News
    2 hours ago

    Moment Jeffrey Epstein survivor realised she was 'in great danger' and 'thought she was going to die'

    Juliette Bryant, 43, was thousands of feet in the air when the gravity of the situation dawned on her

    News
  • Getty Stock Images
    3 hours ago

    Erection pills may have benefits for more than just sex, new study finds

    Around 50-55 percent of all British men between the ages of 40 and 70 have some form of erectile dysfunction (ED)

    News
  • Tiziana FABI / AFP via Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Olympic curling cheating drama continues as Team GB accused of same violation as Canada

    The curling controversy at the Winter Olympics continues

    News
  • Mum's face 'falls off' after horrifying reaction to ibuprofen left her in a coma
  • Court documents detail what Diddy’s ‘freak off’ parties involved as rapper could face life in prison
  • Ian Watkins 'predicted his own death' as paedophile Lostprophets singer dies in prison attack
  • Woman left with ‘gaping hole’ in her face after ‘doing too much cocaine’ issues serious warning to others