• Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • LAD Originals

U OK M8?
Free To Be
Citizen Reef

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now

Calls Grow To Ban Hot Water Bottles In Australia After Man Suffers Third-Degree Burns

Stewart Perrie


Calls Grow To Ban Hot Water Bottles In Australia After Man Suffers Third-Degree Burns

The mother of a burns victim is calling for hot water bottles to be banned in Australia after her son suffered horrific injuries.

The Melbourne tradie was at home and brewed a hot water bottle to keep him toasty on a chilly night.

9News reports the bag spontaneously ruptured and boiling hot water ended up gushing all over the 20-year-old's legs, chest and hands.

He suffered second and third degree burns in the terrifying incident and rushed to get help.

Credit: 9News
Credit: 9News

His mum, Marie Machera, told Channel 9: "His body went into shock and he was trembling...it was a horrific sight to see, I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

"He said, 'mum I'm on fire' - so he was burning. We had him under that cold shower because the minute we stepped him out...he was on fire."

Paramedics eventually arrived to treat him and he was given morphine to help with the pain.

The bloke was then transported to Alfred Hospital for treatment in the burns unit.

He ended up staying there for a week because the burns were so severe and he eventually received a skin graft.

Marie is now leading calls for hot water bottles to be banned outright because of the risk they pose.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission says all hot water bottles have to have warning labels attached to them if they're made with PVC.

Credit: 9News
Credit: 9News

People are meant to only fill them up to a maximum two-thirds full with warm water, not boiling, and shouldn't be placed on your body for more than 20 minutes.

If you have a sleeve to wrap the bottle in then that's also advised. You should also swap your old hot water bottle out every 12 months.

Doctor Dane Holden told 9News: "It's extremely concerning for us because these injuries are entirely preventable.

"Looking at a hot water bottle from the outside it might seem like it's in really good condition...but the hot water bottle can deteriorate the plastic and seals on the inside and then they can spontaneously rupture.

"We are just complacent - there's not enough information about the damage it can cause. I say get rid of your hot water bottles.

"Everyone has one lying around the house - it's a hazard waiting to happen."

Featured Image Credit: 9News

Topics: Australia

Stewart Perrie
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You


Matt Hancock’s huge I’m A Celebrity fee finally unveiled in government documents

29 minutes ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Man who spent £19,000 to 'become a wolf' just wants to be free of human relationships

2 days ago