To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Melbourne Driver Killed After Homemade Bomb Detonated 'When He Went Over Speed Bump'

Melbourne Driver Killed After Homemade Bomb Detonated 'When He Went Over Speed Bump'

Police were at the scene for 24 hours combing it for clues.

Stewart Perrie

Stewart Perrie

A driver in Melbourne has died after a homemade bomb exploded during his journey.

The 43-year-old former soldier from Dandenong was travelling in Hallam on Saturday (January 22) morning when the device detonated shortly after the vehicle went over a speed bump.

The bomb caused the car's windows to shatter outwards however 7News claims the vehicle kept travelling 'a few hundred metres down the road before hitting a parked vehicle'.

The bomb and arson squads were called in to investigate the suspicious explosion.

Residents in the immediate vicinity were ordered to stay inside their homes for several hours as the crews tried to work out whether there was any lingering threat.

A neighbour told 7News: "They had the streets blocked off and police pretty much controlling everything, there was 15 police cars all around the place.

Another added: "I just heard a big loud band at about 11am and I looked out the window and saw the car had gone through the roundabout and crashed into a sign."

A third said: "The car was just passing and the fire came from the driver's side suddenly. It is scary for me because all day me and the children were at home."

A local took to Facebook to say they weren't allowed to leave their property until 1am, which was more than 10 hours after the initial explosion.

However, police stayed at the scene for another 14 hours combing it for clues as to what could have happened.

7News reports the former soldier was at the home of his ex-partner before he got in the car.

A Victoria Police spokesperson said in a statement: "The circumstances surrounding his death are under investigation by the Arson and Explosives Squad.

"Bomb Response Unit members attended due to explosive items located inside the vehicle and it took a considerable amount of time for the Bomb Response Unit to render these items safe."

The man's death is not being treated as suspicious. However, police are calling on anyone with information about the incident to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a report online.

Featured Image Credit: 7News

Topics: Australia