Gold Coast Baby Rushed To Hospital After Accidentally Taking 'Significant' Amount Of Meth
A baby in Australia has been rushed to hospital after accidentally taking meth.
Authorities say the 12-month-old ingested a 'significant' amount of the drug ice at an apartment complex on the Gold Coast.
The baby's 20-year-old mother has been charged after police launched a month-long investigation.
Acting Detective Inspector Troy Penrose, from the Vulnerable Persons and Domestic Violence Unit, told the Courier Mail the baby 'partially lost consciousness' and started vomiting after taking the illegal drug.
"It's (the allegations) deeply concerning to police as it would be to any parent. People do have a duty under law to not expose their children to harmful environments. Where they do and police are advised we will certainly investigate the matter as a priority," he said.
More Like ThisMore Like This
Only when the baby became sick four people, including the mother, allegedly noticed that something was wrong.
He was taken to Gold Coast University Hospital in a critical condition.
The incident was reported to child protective services and police started an investigation. After a month of inquiries, the 20-year-old handed herself into police.
She has been charged with endangering life of children by exposure. The maximum penalty for the crime, if convicted, is seven years jail. The mother has been given watch house bail will appear in court on January 8.
Featured Image Credit: PA
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read