To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders
Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications
A man who was desperate to see his dying father has been successful in his mission to get out of New Zealand's MIQ (Managed Isolation and Quarantine) system.
Kurt Lehndorf arrived in New Zealand from Australia on February 2 to say goodbye to his dad.
He had been seeking permission to leave the MIQ system and instead self-isolate in his father's home for the remainder of his isolation period.
He feared he would otherwise miss out on the chance to say goodbye.
In a bid to speed up the process, Lehndorf has been on a hunger strike, not consuming any food or drink for more than 60 hours.
This morning (February 7) an MIQ spokesman confirmed to the NZ Herald that the man has been granted his wish.
"We are pleased this means he will be able to spend time with his father at this difficult time," the spokesman said.
"Mr Lehndorf has been advised that his exemption application was approved this morning, subject to him receiving a negative Rapid Antigen Test prior to his departure from MIQ, and transport to his place of self-isolation is now being organised."
Lehndorf returned a negative Covid-19 test last night, making him eligible for the exemption.
He told the NZ Herald he was feeling 'dreadful' and 'broken' and still wasn't certain how the next few hours would play out.
"Every part of me wants to cave and have some water. My eyes are dry, I'm feeling completely nauseous."
On Facebook, Lehndorf said New Zealand had lost its way, and that too many people were losing last moments with loved ones due to a 'myopic government'.
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read