People Returning To NSW From Overseas Will Have To Pay $3,000 Hotel Quarantine Bill
The New South Wales government has revealed that people coming into the state from overseas will have to pay for their hotel quarantine.
Taxpayers have been forking out the dough to house people returning home, who have to isolate in a government approved hotel or facility for two weeks to reduce the risk of spreading coronavirus.
But, that bill will now be placed onto the traveller and it's not cheap.
People coming into New South Wales will have to pay $3,000 per adult and an additional $1,000 for each additional adult. You'll also have to pay $500 for each child over three years old.
The funds go towards the accommodation as well as the security team that is stationed outside to ensure no one tries to break free.
It will apply to international visitors as well as Australians.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian said: "Australian residents have been given plenty of time to return home, and we feel it is only fair that they cover some of the costs of their hotel accommodation."
More Like ThisMore Like This
If you purchased your ticket before 11.59pm yesterday (Sunday 12 July) then you won't have to pay for the quarantine, however anything booked after that date will mean you'll have to fork out the cash.
Tourism Minister Stuart Ayres added: "Over the past few weeks, the majority of new Covid-19 cases in NSW have come from overseas travellers in hotel quarantine. NSW Police, NSW Health officials and the accommodation industry will continue to work together to provide the nation's leading hotel quarantine system."
A whopping 35,000 people have been placed into hotel quarantine across Australia since the move became mandatory.
National Cabinet agreed last week that Australia would be limiting the number of flights heading into the country. Weekly arrivals will be cut from 6,000 to 4,500 for the 'national interest'.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison said: "There will be capacity for people to return to Australia, as there has been now for months ... but the number of available positions on flights will be less and I don't think that is surprising or unreasonable in the circumstances."
Chief Medical Officer Paul Kelly added: "There have been a lot of people [come through] hotel quarantine. There have been very few breaches but we have seen, as has been reported in Victoria, a single breach, even if it's low risk can lead to a catastrophic outcome. We absolutely need to know that this is working as best as it can."
Featured Image Credit: PA