Scott Morrison Calls For Investigation After Australian News Crew Attacked By American Police
Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison has called for an investigation after an Australian news crew was attacked by police while covering the protests in Washington DC.
Demonstrations have been held across the US for several days over the death of George Floyd, an African American man who was killed in police custody in Minneapolis last week.
However, tensions have reached boiling point in several major cities and some rallies have descended into violence, looting, destruction of property and assaults. Police have also been accused of using heavy-handed tactics to disperse demonstrators.
That was very apparent for the US correspondent Channel 7 team, who were caught up in the conflict.
Here's another angle:
Since footage was aired by ABC7 and Channel 7, there has been an outcry of anger from people in Australia. The Prime Minister says a formal complaint will be lodged with American authorities once the investigation is complete.
The US ambassador to Australia has similarly condemned the actions in a statement via the embassy's Twitter account.
Arthur B Culvahouse Jr wrote: "Freedom of the press is a right Australians and Americans hold dear.
"We take mistreatment of journalists seriously, as do all who take democracy seriously. We remain steadfast in our commitment to protecting journalists and guaranteeing equal justice under law for all."
More Like ThisMore Like This
A statement from Ambassador Arthur B. Culvahouse Jr. pic.twitter.com/EW5aPaptjE- US Embassy Canberra (@USAembassyinOZ) June 2, 2020
Foreign Minister Marise Payne added: "Our Embassy in the United States will approach the relevant authorities, and Channel Seven will also provide us with their views on how they wish to deal with it.
Reporter Amelia Brace and cameraman Tim Myers say they had to run 'about a block' away when police started firing tear gas and non-lethal projectiles.
Brace later told Sunrise: "I managed to get a rubber bullet to the backside and Tim got one in the back of the neck.
"There was no escape at that moment. We had the National Guard behind us and police coming through so quickly. You heard us yelling there that we were media but they don't care."
US President Donald Trump has instructed police to use force to stop the violent and destructive demonstrations and has deployed 'thousands and thousands of heavily armed soldiers' to the nation's capital.
Trump has labelled the actions of those who committed violence a 'disgrace' and, as a result, is bringing in the big guns to stop anymore destruction.
He said the 'armed soldiers' would be backed up by military personnel and law enforcement officers to 'stop the rioting, looting, vandalism, assaults and the wonton destruction of property'.
He warned that anyone who was caught breaking curfew or causing violence or destruction will face the full extent of the law and lengthy jail sentences.
Featured Image Credit: ABC7
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read