| Last updated
If we're honest with ourselves, most of us don't change our bedsheets as often as we should.
What most of us don't do, however, is wait until said bedsheets start harbouring life until we do decide to give them a wash.
So when a pest controller was called out to a house in Maryland, United States, they were in for a shock of their life after finding bugs had taken over an entire home.
Rory McCarty, 50, is the owner of Bug Boys Pest Control, and while on a call last month he saw a sight that would make your skin crawl.
Peeling back the mattress, his crew uncovered a swarm of bed bugs crawling around that shocked the hardened 25-year veteran.
But sadly for the owners of the infested bed, the mattress was just the tip of the iceberg. They had let the problem get to such as state that the little blighters had taken over the entire house.
Looking around the property for signs of more life, Rory discovered hundreds of more bed bugs crawling about in the cushions and chairs.
Speaking about the harrowing visit, Rory said: "Bed bugs can be one of the most difficult and expensive bugs out there to get rid of.
"I've been doing this for 25 years, and it still amazes me seeing bad infestations, but I still get very excited like it's the first time seeing them because we're really good at what we do."
But bed bugs are not an uncommon occurrence. Last year, Christina Barber and Tristan Dainty from Stoke-on-Trent, UK, endured a proper holiday from hell when they went to Lanzarote.
A holiday so bad that rather than developing a healthy tan, they rushed to their GP for some blood tests.
During the first couple of days of the holiday, Mr Dainty began to feel severe itching, with large bite-like marks appearing on his hands and arms. A red patch also formed on his face.
Initially, they assumed the marks were caused by mosquito bites and they used a cream from a pharmacy to treat the itches. However, Ms Barber also began to feel itchy and Mr Dainty's marks began to develop unusually.
In bed, a couple of nights later, Mr Dainty's itching became so unbearable that they turned on the light, only to discover they were covered in bed bugs.
Miss Barber said: "Tristan was scratching so bad we got up and turned the lights on and there were black bugs all over him, all over his bed and all over my bed. We jumped straight out.
"When we saw the bugs we just thought 'oh my God'. We couldn't stop scratching as we were covered in the bites. We didn't dare get back into bed. It was an absolute nightmare."
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read