Advert

Teen Dies After Being Stung By Fish In Spain

Published 
| Last updated 

Teen Dies After Being Stung By Fish In Spain

A teenager has died after being stung by a poisonous fish in Spain.

The 16-year-old had been snorkelling in the sea near to Playa d'Aro on the Costa Brava when tragedy struck.

After not seeing him from around half an hour, his parents raised the alarm and the boy's body was then recovered from the water.

An initial post-mortem has concluded that he went into anaphylactic shock, which may have been caused by the fish's poison.

Advert
Credit: Solarpix
Credit: Solarpix

He was found to have a small wound in his neck and marks on his face which were not consistent with a typical drowning.

An autopsy has pointed to a fish sting being the cause of death, but forensics are still waiting on the results of a toxicology report.

Investigators have been handed footage said to show the attack, which his parents say involved a weever fish.

Advert

Locals have said the fish is a spotted weever - the animal's stings can cause painful swelling and have been known to cause heart attacks or severe allergic reactions.

The boy is reported to come from Montagut i Oix, around an hour and a half away from where he died.

A spokesperson from Montagut i Oix council said: "We have no words. Our thoughts are with the family. All our support in these sad times."

His parents have released a statement to the local press, in which they say the video handed to officials shows the teen finding a jellyfish 100 metres from the beach as he was snorkelling which 'took him to a strange and colourful fish with a harmless-looking face'.

Advert
Credit: Solarpix
Credit: Solarpix

The statement goes on: "He was only able to film it for 30 seconds from a distance and at the last second it disappeared and bit him around the jaw area."

Spotted weevers can grow up to 45cm in length and have poisonous spines on their back. They spend most of their time buried in the sand or in shallow waters.

Earlier this year, a warning about the fish was issued to British beach-goers after an influx of stings in Cornwall.

Advert

Speaking at the time, an RNLI lifeguard supervisor said they'd 'seen grown men cry the pain' from the stings.

Featured Image Credit: Solarpix

Topics: World News, Spain, Animals

Claire Reid
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Prince Philip's Funeral To Be Held On 17 April

2 days ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

News

Macaulay Culkin Has Become A Father

10 hours ago