ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
NSW is banning children from having mobile phones at public schools
Home>News
Published 05:35 3 Apr 2023 GMT+1

NSW is banning children from having mobile phones at public schools

The NSW government will implement the ban from October 9

Charisa Bossinakis

Charisa Bossinakis

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

NSW public high school classrooms will ban mobile phones in late 2023.

The NSW Government will implement the ban from October 9 when children return for their final term of the year.

Newly minted Premier Chris Minns said the move will help ‘clear our classrooms of unnecessary distractions’, as per The Daily Telegraph.

“I know many parents who are anxious about the pervasiveness of phones and technology in our children’s learning environments,” he said.

Advert

“It’s time to clear our classrooms of unnecessary distractions and create better environments for learning.”

bdavid32 / Alamy Stock Photo

He said the government would look at lockable pouches and lockers to ensure devices are out of reach during class time.

"There are low-cost and no-cost options that are available to them," Mr Minns said.

"It may be as simple as making sure mobile phones are in a student's bag and can't be taken out during the school day."

He added that other countries have shown children benefit from a no-phones policy.

"In the UK the benefits were felt the highest among the students with the lowest scores," he said.

"They received double the increase in scores that the average students in their cohort were able to achieve."

Several schools have already implemented a limited screen time policy on campus, including Sydney’s Condell Park High School, as per 9News.

The school's principal, Susie Mobayed, revealed students must hand over their phones to a trolley at the start of the day.

She added: "This means teachers and students are focusing on teaching and learning with no interruptions. There's also no room for cyberbullying, social media or taking photos and videos during the school day.

Lbeddoe / Alamy Stock Photo

"Our approach is strongly supported by our P&C and parents."

South Australia has also implemented a phone ban in public high school classrooms.

Premier Peter Malinauskas said there had been ‘overwhelmingly positive’ results.

"Our experience in South Australia is that there is no harm done as the result of a young person not touching their phone from the beginning to the end," he said, as per the outlet.

However, researcher in Digital Literacy and Digital Wellbeing at Western Sydney University Joanne Orlando said banning technology doesn’t revolve long term issues.

Instead, children need to be taught how to use it responsibly.

In a piece for The Conversation, she referenced a 2020 Swedish study where a mobile phone ban did not impact student grades.

She added: “This is no longer a ‘screentime’ conversation. We need new knowledge and new education strategies if children are to thrive online post-COVID and beyond.”

Featured Image Credit: Zoonar GmbH / Alamy Stock Photo. Astrakan Images / Alamy Stock Photo

Topics: News, Technology, Education, Australia, Politics

Charisa Bossinakis
Charisa Bossinakis

Charisa Bossinakis is an Associative Journalist at LADbible. Charisa has worked across various media platforms including, print, digital, radio and podcasting while maintaining the highest regard for quality work and integrity. She also covered everything from breaking news, to pop culture, entertainment and politics and is part of the editorial team for LADbible.

X

@CBossinakis

Recommended reads

Mackenzie Shirilla shares expert testimony from dismissed appeal which 'proves she had medical episode'Instagram/Mackenzie ShirillaHeartbreak as parents abandon children ‘blindfolded in woods’ on fake treasure huntNewsflashFive UK areas issued urgent heat alerts as Brits braced for record breaking heatwaveGetty Stock ImagesBarclays, NatWest and Santander issue free £200 alert for simple lifestyle changeMike Kemp/In Pictures via Getty Images

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
3 hours ago
  • Newsflash
    an hour ago

    Heartbreak as parents abandon children ‘blindfolded in woods’ on fake treasure hunt

    The two little lads sported backpacks filled with 'a change of clothes, a packet of biscuits, two pieces of fruit and a bottle of water'

    News
  • Getty Stock Images
    an hour ago

    Five UK areas issued urgent heat alerts as Brits braced for record breaking heatwave

    The bank holiday is set to be an absolute scorcher with hot weather warnings in place until Wednesday

    News
  • Marc Grimwade/Getty
    an hour ago

    Ian Watkins murder trial collapses as two prisoners accused of killing paedophile singer behind bars

    Ian Watkins was serving a 29-year sentence for child sexual offences when he was stabbed to death in his cell

    News

    breaking

  • PA
    3 hours ago

    Mum of three sisters who died in Brighton beach tragedy also died of drowning

    Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walters, 32, and Rebecca Walters, 31, were found dead on 13 May

    News
  • NSW Public Schools Will Now Provide Free Tampons And Pads For Students
  • How to turn off emergency alert that will blast through entire population's phones this weekend
  • What UK social media ban for children would look like as PM admits he needs to 'do more'
  • The United Nations is calling for a global ban on students having mobile phones in schools