ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Half marathon under investigation after runners ‘allow man to win’
Home>News>Sport
Published 18:53 15 Apr 2024 GMT+1

Half marathon under investigation after runners ‘allow man to win’

The Beijing half marathon is now under investigation after footage emerged

Jess Battison

Jess Battison

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Look, we’ve all got that mate who won’t stop banging on about their PB or the big race they’ve got coming up. Or maybe you are that friend.

But for the rest of us, the idea of going on a big, long run for miles and miles is purely just torture.

That’s not to discount you runners though, good for you. It really takes some commitment and you’ve got to be pretty serious about it for those bigger runs. And I’m not just talking about running the length of Africa, even a half marathon takes some real training and dedication.

Then once you’ve completed it, the buzz from crossing the finish line is incredible. You might even pick up pace when it’s in sight, ready to celebrate a major achievement.

Advert

However, a half marathon in Beijing, China, is now under investigation after runners were accused of ‘allowing a man to win’.

It's being investigated. (X)
It's being investigated. (X)

Yep, it’s claimed that three participates of the 13-mile run yesterday (14 April) slowed down as they approached the end.

The race was won by member of China’s marathon team and national marathon record holder, He Jie. The 25-year-old won in Beijing in a time of 1:03:44, but three others were just one second behind.

Footage from the race seems to show Dejene Hailu Bikilia from Ethiopia with Robert Keter and Willy Mnangat from Kenya slow down and let the winner run ahead.


Beijing half marathon organisers said Monday they were investigating after footage shared widely online appeared to show three African runners deliberately allowing China’s He Jie to win. https://t.co/n8pFWfunOf https://t.co/AannDVV2bB pic.twitter.com/0BXY8cXwS1

— Tom Grundy (@tomgrundy) April 15, 2024

All four of them had been running together for pretty much the whole half marathon.

Mnangat later told South China Morning Post he let He Jie win ‘because he is my friend’ and added he wasn’t given a financial reward for doing so.

He Jie told state media: “I have never participated in a half marathon before, so this time I wanted to set a personal best.”

He Jie is a marathon runner. (Chen Wen/China News Service/VCG via Getty Images)
He Jie is a marathon runner. (Chen Wen/China News Service/VCG via Getty Images)

Beijing Sports Competition Management and International Exchange Centre organised the event and has now said it is investigating the incident.

Users on social media said it’s ‘embarrassing’ and slammed it as ‘a fake race’.

Some also called it ‘horribly shameful’ and said they ‘didn’t even try to make it seem real’.

World Athletics told Sky News in a statement: “We are aware of the footage circulating online from the Beijing Half Marathon this weekend and understand an investigation is currently being conducted by the relevant local authorities.

"The integrity of our sport is the highest priority at World Athletics, while this investigation is ongoing we are unable to provide further comment."

Featured Image Credit: X

Topics: China, World News, Sport

Jess Battison
Jess Battison

Jess is a Senior Journalist with a love of all things pop culture. With a specialism in entertainment, she's covered the updates live at major events from The Brits in London to Disney's D23 in California. Jess covers the latest breaking news stories across the UK and the globe as well as interviewing your favourite faces including the likes of Dwayne Johnson, Stephen Graham, Aubrey Plaza and Chris Hemsworth. She graduated with a first in Journalism from City, University of London in 2021.

X

@jessbattison_

Recommended reads

Heartbreak as parents abandon children ‘blindfolded in woods’ on fake treasure huntNewsflashFive UK areas issued urgent heat alerts as Brits braced for record breaking heatwaveGetty Stock ImagesBarclays, NatWest and Santander issue free £200 alert for simple lifestyle changeMike Kemp/In Pictures via Getty ImagesIan Watkins murder trial collapses as two prisoners accused of killing paedophile singer behind barsMarc Grimwade/Getty

Advert

  • Pep Guardiola 'set to leave' Man City this week after FA cup victory
  • 'Looksmaxxer' Clavicular under investigation after opening fire on alligator during livestream
  • Donald Trump’s greeting after touching down in China is being branded 'disrespectful'
  • China responded to worrying satellite image of man-made project NASA said is slowing down the Earth's rotation

Choose your content:

22 mins ago
23 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Newsflash
    22 mins ago

    Heartbreak as parents abandon children ‘blindfolded in woods’ on fake treasure hunt

    The two little lads sported backpacks filled with 'a change of clothes, a packet of biscuits, two pieces of fruit and a bottle of water'

    News
  • Getty Stock Images
    23 mins ago

    Five UK areas issued urgent heat alerts as Brits braced for record breaking heatwave

    The bank holiday is set to be an absolute scorcher with hot weather warnings in place until Wednesday

    News
  • Marc Grimwade/Getty
    an hour ago

    Ian Watkins murder trial collapses as two prisoners accused of killing paedophile singer behind bars

    Ian Watkins was serving a 29-year sentence for child sexual offences when he was stabbed to death in his cell

    News

    breaking

  • PA
    2 hours ago

    Mum of three sisters who died in Brighton beach tragedy also died of drowning

    Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walters, 32, and Rebecca Walters, 31, were found dead on 13 May

    News