A 10-year-old boy who died after being electrocuted at a hotel in Blackpool has been named.
Jack Piper-Sheach, from Wales, sadly died as a result of injuries from the accident, which happened at Tiffany’s Hotel on the seaside town’s Promenade.
The young boy was found unresponsive, and was rushed to Liverpool’s Alder Hey Children’s Hospital for treatment of injuries ‘consistent with coming into contact with a high voltage of electricity’.
Despite the best efforts of the doctors at the hospital, the boy died of those injuries four days later on 7 September, with his family around his bedside.
An inquest into his death has been ordered and was confirmed by Coroner Alan Wilson.
The inquest will commence on 15 September at Blackpool and Fylde Coroner’s Court.
Police made the initial enquiries into his death, but have since handed the case over to the council in Blackpool.
A spokesperson for Blackpool Council is quoted as having said: “The investigation is still ongoing and at this stage.
“We are unable to predict when the hotel will be able to reopen.
“We are carrying out the investigation and officers from the Health and Safety Executive have been offering specialist support.”
A spokesperson for Tiffany’s Hotel said that they were ‘heartbroken’ after hearing the news that Jack had passed away.
A statement read: “We are heartbroken by the news we have received today, and our thoughts and prayers remain with the family at this distressing time.
“We will continue to provide the relevant authorities any assistance they need to carry out their investigations.”
The hotel is currently closed whilst the investigation takes place, having been advised to close for health and safety reasons following the incident.
Lancashire Constabulary issued a statement at the time of his death that read: "A boy has sadly died following an incident at a Blackpool hotel.
“We were called to the Promenade, Blackpool, at 10.39pm on Sunday to reports a 10-year-old boy had been found unresponsive inside a hotel.
“He was taken to hospital with injuries consistent with coming into contact with a high voltage of electricity and very sadly died in hospital yesterday, Thursday, September 7.
“His family were by his bedside and our thoughts are with them at this time.
“Following an initial police investigation this matter has now been passed to the local authority.
“A file will be prepared for HM Coroner."
Featured Image Credit: Google Maps/Piccell via Getty
Topics: UK News