ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Police issue new statement after 2-year-old boy is found starved to death next to dad's body
Home>News>UK News
Published 20:21 19 Jan 2024 GMT

Police issue new statement after 2-year-old boy is found starved to death next to dad's body

Bronson Battersby was found in his home on January 9

Lucy Devine

Lucy Devine

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Police in Lincolnshire have issued a new statement following the death of a two-year-old toddler.

Bronson Battersby was found dehydrated and starved to death next to the body of his father, Kenneth, on January 9.

The 60-year-old is believed to have suffered a heart attack at his flat in Skegness, Lincolnshire, some time after Boxing Day.

Meanwhile, the toddler - who was under children's services care - was left alone for two weeks in the dark, unable to eat and drink.

Advert

The toddler died of dehydration and starvation.
Facebook / Sarah Louise Piesse

Lincolnshire Police has previously said it was contacted by a Lincolnshire County Council social worker who got no answer when they tried knocking on the door of the home.

A spokesperson for the county council confirmed that the social worker had communicated with Mr Battersby on December 27 and arranged to visit on January 2.

The social worker then 'made inquiries at other addresses where the child could be' and contacted the police.

After a second unannounced visit on January 4 also went unanswered, Lincolnshire Police were said to have been contacted again.

Days later, on January 9, the social worker was let into the property by the landlord, where Mr Battersby and his son were found dead.

In a statement today (January 19), Lincolnshire Police's Deputy Chief Constable Julia Debenham acknowledged that the death of Bronson, and his father Kenneth had 'understandably captured the attention and hearts of the public'.

She added: "The full circumstances involved are now the subject of a review and details will be examined within that, which will determine if there are lessons for any agency to learn.

Bronson and his father, Kenneth.
Facebook/Sarah Louise Piesse

"What I would like to make clear is that we did respond to information supplied to us, but for reasons of transparency we have also referred the case to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).

"This is standard procedure, and they will be undertaking their own independent investigation."

Ms Debenham reassured members of the community that the force 'take necessary and appropriate action' when they receive calls regarding children.

She added: "Any speculation around the exact actions of any agencies involved at this stage is premature, though I do understand why our communities want answers as soon as possible.

"I know there are many questions about the exact actions that the police took, and we are limited in what we can say because of the pending inquiries.

"I would like to reassure the public that where we get calls for concern in relation to children, we take necessary and appropriate action to make sure they are as safe as possible, which is always based on the best information and intelligence available to us."

Bronson with his mother, Sarah.
Facebook / Sarah Louise Piesse

Lincolnshire County Council has begun to carry out a 'rapid review' of various agencies in the area following the tragic deaths.

Heather Sandy, executive director for children’s services at Lincolnshire County Council, said: “This was a tragic incident, and we are supporting the family at this difficult time.

“We are currently carrying out a review of the case alongside partner agencies to better understand the circumstances, and we await the results of the coroner’s investigations as well.

“Our thoughts are with the family and friends of those involved.”

Featured Image Credit: Facebook/Sarah Piesse

Topics: News, UK News

Lucy Devine
Lucy Devine

Recommended reads

Doctor explains true effects of 'Carrotmaxxing' trend people are doing to 'tan themselves'Getty Stock ImagesEmotional message behind semi-colon tattoo and four others you didn't know the meaning ofThe Washington Post/GettyDoctor issues serious warning over 'most powerful weight loss jab ever' that outperforms Mounjaro and WeGovyGetty StockDeath row inmate's execution called off after botched attempt to take his lifeTennessee Department of Correction

Advert

Choose your content:

4 hours ago
5 hours ago
  • The Washington Post/Getty
    4 hours ago

    Emotional message behind semi-colon tattoo and four others you didn't know the meaning of

    The tattoo has a particular meaning for some people

    News
  • Tennessee Department of Correction
    4 hours ago

    Death row inmate's execution called off after botched attempt to take his life

    Even Kim Kardashian has had her say...

    News
  • Photo by Roy Rochlin/Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Singer Jack Avery speaks out after child's mother arrested in alleged plot to murder him

    Influencer Gabriela Gonzalez, 24, is accused of trying to hire a hitman on the dark web over a custody dispute

    News
  • Getty Stock
    5 hours ago

    Doctors explain whether you should megadose on creatine as side effects revealed

    The supplement is popular among people as part of their workout regimen

    News
  • Sister of toddler found starved to death next to dad says she finds comfort in how they looked when found
  • Mum of 2-year-old boy found starved to death says 'he was two inches too small to open fridge'
  • Burglars break into home where 2-year-old boy was found starved to death next to dad's body
  • Update issued after 2-year-old boy found starved to death next to dad's body