ladbible logo

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Devastated dad issues warning about chroming trend after 14-year-old dies

Devastated dad issues warning about chroming trend after 14-year-old dies

Her family is urging manufacturers to print bigger warning labels on cans

A family is calling for bigger warning labels on aerosol cans after the tragic death of their daughter.

After going out shopping, the 14-year-old and her mother stocked up on some deodorant that Giorgia was particularly keen on, because of her autism, which meant that she had sensory needs.

These sensory needs often included seeking comfort from certain smells, like her deodorant.

It was after their trip together that the young girl sprayed the scent around her room, leading to an awful reaction and her death.

Now, her parents are raising awareness on the fatal effects of aerosol cans and asking that warning labels be clear to see so that others do not go through what they have after ‘chroming’ sweeps across social media.

A social media trend has had devastating consequences.
Pixabay

Chroming is the act of huffing solvents, inhaling fumes which give a temporary ‘high’ to the user, but as many reports have been plaguing the country due to social media trends, Giorgia’s family want to put an end to it.

While Giorgia’s death was a horrific accident, Paul, 55, and Clare, 54, want manufacturers to put bigger warning labels on cans to make parents more aware they can kill.

Paul explained to The Sun: “I sat in hospital, holding my daughter’s hand and I couldn't believe what had happened. I could barely speak. My baby was gone.”

It was only a few months ago in March that TikTok was forced to remove a chroming challenge after 13-year-old Esra Haynes died as a result of inhaling solvents.

Paul went on to say: “Giorgia might not have died under the same circumstances as Esra in Australia, but we found it very upsetting that someone had died from the same product.

“I really worry about this becoming a social media trend because people can die in an instant - that’s what’s so scary about aerosols.

“Everyone has a limit as to how much of any toxic substance the body can withstand.

Chroming is when a person inhales solvents for a temporary high.
Pixabay

"All it takes is to go a tiny bit over your tolerance level and you can end up like Giorgia.

“We knew Giorgia liked to spray [her deodorant] around if she felt a bit anxious because it gave her a sense of comfort. But we had no idea just how lethal it could be.”

Even though measures have been put in place to warn parents and children by printing a ‘keep out of reach of children’ warning, the family believes that it’s too small to be noticeable.

He said: “Many people don’t notice the warning so don’t realise how dangerous the contents of those tins can be."

After Giorgia came home from shopping, she was left at home whilst her mum took her brother to an appointment in a bid to build her independence, but it was then that she sprayed her room and blanket with the deodorant.

Paul states that he began having a ‘weird feeling’ at work 12 miles away and so decided to come home.

"I was about five minutes away when Clare called me in a panicked state, and when I got to the house the street was sealed off and I thought, ‘This is serious’.

“I ran upstairs and on the landing I could see the paramedics working on Giorgia.”

An alarming rate of deaths have been recorded due to chroming.
Pixabay

The young girl was then taken to the Royal Derby Hospital where her death was declared to be from a misadventure after inhaling aerosol at her home.

Tony D’Agosinto, a trainer for frontline drugs workers, said that solvents are a cheap alternative to cannabis, and are more prevalent in deprived areas due to the price.

He said: “There are pockets around the country where solvent abuse is more prevalent, especially deprived areas where it’s a cheap way of getting high.

"Most of these products can be found around the house or bought cheaply.”

Now, the British Aerosol Manufacturer's Association is carrying out a review of the 'solvent abuse can kill instantly' warning on solvents to see where things can change.

Chief executive Patrick Heskins said: "There are a number of warnings which we, as an industry, are required to place on pack by law.

"The SACKI warning is a voluntary, industry recommendation. In conjunction with our Member Companies, we are carrying out a review of the voluntary warnings carried on pack to ensure that we fully communicate any potential risk, however small, to users.

"The intention is to ensure that the language used in any warnings best communicates any such risk in a way which is easily understood.

"We hope to have completed this review before the end of 2024 and will then issue revised guidance for those marketing and manufacturing aerosols."

Featured Image Credit: Family Handout

Topics: Drugs, UK News, News