Eurotunnel shut down as bomb squad respond to ‘suspicious vehicle’
| Last updated
The Eurotunnel has been shut down as the bomb squad respond to a report of a ‘suspicious vehicle’.
Kent Police said a cordon had been put in place this morning, with 'explosives experts' sent to the scene.
"At around 10.30am on Friday 8 September 2023 a suspicious vehicle was stopped at the Channel Tunnel terminal in Cheriton," a spokesperson for the force said.
"Explosives experts from the British Army have been called to the scene and a cordon has been put in place for the safety of the public.
"This is currently having an effect on traffic approaching the terminal."
Kent Police also said that 'a man has been detained in connection with the incident and enquiries are ongoing'.
As a result of the emergency response, access to the Folkestone terminal has been suspended.
Customers set to use the tunnel have been told that their travel will be severely disrupted throughout day.
A Eurotunnel spokesperson said: "A suspicious vehicle has been intercepted during a routine security check at the Channel Tunnel Terminal in Folkestone.
"Kent police and specialist officers are dealing with the incident.
"Access to the Folkestone terminal is currently suspended awaiting the outcome of the police intervention
"Customers are advised to check on the LeShuttle website and social media for the latest travel information.
"Customers are advised that, because of this incident, travel will be severely disrupted throughout the afternoon and to prepare to modify their travel plans as a consequence."
More to follow.
Featured Image Credit: Kiran Ridley/Getty Images/ Andrew Aitchison / In pictures via Getty Images)
Topics: UK News