Advert

Latest

Man Who Had Nose And Top Lip Removed To Look Like A 'Black Alien' Struggles To Speak

Man Who Had Nose And Top Lip Removed To Look Like A 'Black Alien' Struggles To Speak

published at4 hours ago
Advert
Advert

Most Popular

Advert
News

Police Start Urgent Hunt For Bomb Left On Wall Over Fears Someone Took It Home

Police Start Urgent Hunt For Bomb Left On Wall Over Fears Someone Took It Home

A hunt is underway to find a bomb that mysteriously went missing after it was discovered in a river.

The wartime device was discovered by a fisherman, but was left on a wall while police made their way to it.

But officers fear someone has taken the explosive shell home with them after finding it by the waterway in Dartford in Kent.

It's not confirmed whether the item is dangerous or not, but officers are keen to find out what has happened to it to make sure it is disposed of safely.

Advert

Kent Police Inspector Shona Lowndes said: "Explosives experts have not yet had the opportunity to inspect and assess whether this item is harmless or poses any dangers.

"We cannot discount that someone may have picked it up and perhaps taken it home or left it somewhere else.

"Anyone who has had contact with this item, or knows of its whereabouts, is urged to contact police immediately."

Credit: PA
Credit: PA
Advert

The item was discovered on Sunday afternoon (22 November), with police called to the location at 5.40pm. The bomb disposal unit was called after seeing a video of it, with them believing the object is a wartime shell.

On the video, it was shown to be a 3ft (1m) long cylinder shaped object and was left by the river until officers could get there.

Although they attended at 5.52pm, the device had already disappeared, with police carrying out an extensive search of the area.

More Like ThisMore Like This

1 of 6
News

Police Apologise To Woman 'Left Naked In Cell For Three Hours'

Despite bombs from WWII often not being dangerous, on occasion, they are still active.

Advert
News

Police Searching For Man After Woman's Body Found In Suitcase

published at12 days ago

In October, a 5.4-tonne Tallboy bomb exploded after demolition experts tried to neutralise it.

It was found in September 2019 beneath a waterway leading to the port of Szczecin, in Poland.

But the bomb containing 2,400kg worth of explosive went off, causing a huge blast.

Fortunately, Navy spokesman Lieutenant Commander Grzegorz Lewandowski confirmed nobody was hurt.

Advert

Divers were a safe distance away as they attempted to defuse the bomb through remote deflagration, whereby the explosive charge is burnt without causing a detonation (if successful, that is).

More than 750 residents had also been evacuated from the area near the Piast Canal, outside the town of Swinoujscie, with authorities imposing a 2.4 kilometre exclusion zone around the bomb.

Lt. Cmdr. Lewandowski said: "The deflagration process turned into detonation.

"The object can be considered neutralised, it will not pose any more threat to the Szczecin-Swinoujscie shipping channel.

Advert

"All divers were outside the danger zone."

Featured Image Credit: PA

Topics: UK News, crime

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Britain's Got Talent Set To Be Postponed Until 2022
published at6 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

News

Lee Rigby Killer Michael Adebowale Is 'Fighting For Life' With Coronavirus

published at16 hours ago

Amelia Ward

Amelia is a journalist at LADbible. After studying journalism at Liverpool John Moores and Salford Uni (don't ask), she went into PR and then the world of music. After a few years working on festivals and events, she went back to her roots. In her spare time, Amelia likes music, Liverpool FC, and spending good, quality time with her cat, Paul. You can contact Amelia at [email protected]