To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Dyatlov Pass mystery in which nine people died 'solved' after more than 60 years

Dyatlov Pass mystery in which nine people died 'solved' after more than 60 years

The mystery sparked many conspiracy theories over the years

In the heart of the Ural Mountains in Russia, a chilling mystery has haunted minds for over six decades.

In 1959, nine experienced cross-country skiers perished under inexplicable circumstances near the Dyatlov Pass. Speculations ranged from secret military tests to alien encounters, yet no definitive answers emerged.

According to a Soviet investigation, the group fled from an 'unknown compelling force'. The case sparked wild and weird conspiracy theories after grim details of the victims were released.

The group were graduates from the Ural Polytechnic Institute, seven men and two women, led by a 23-year-old man named Igor Dyatlov.

Expedition leader Igor Dyatlov (
Expedition leader Igor Dyatlov (

They had planned to travel 220 miles on skis to Mount Otorten in the Northern Ural.

When they failed to complete their route, a rescue team was sent out to search for them - what they found was a chilling and grisly scene.

Some of those who died had fractured skulls and chest injuries. Lyudmila Dubinina, 21, and Semen Zolotarev, 38, had empty eye sockets, and Dubinina was also missing her tongue. Others were found dead in just their socks and underwear.

Over the years, there have been many outlandish conspiracy theories as to what happened to the skiers. Some claim they were killed by yetis while others say members of the group had KGB connections and were on a mission to meet US agents at the time of their death.

But after decades of mystery, an investigation by the Russian prosecutor-general's office claims to have solved the mystery.

The mystery of Dyatlov Pass remained unsolved for decades (
The mystery of Dyatlov Pass remained unsolved for decades (

Senior state prosecutor Andrei Kuryakov said the group's tent was in danger from an avalanche, so the party rushed to shield behind a ridge.

He said: "This was a natural avalanche limiter. They did everything right. But here is the second reason why the group was doomed.

"When they turned around, they could not see the tent. Visibility was 16 metres (52ft)."

Kuryakov added: "It was a heroic fight. There was no panic, but they had no chance in these circumstances.”

He concluded that, tragically, the group froze to death in temperatures between -40°C and -45°C.

Many claim the mystery is now ‘solved’ after more than 60 years, and that the spirits of the nine hikers can finally rest in peace and the conspiracy theories can be laid to rest too.

Two Swiss-based researchers, Alexander Puzrin and Johan Gaume, also backed up this theory in a report published in 2021.

However, many remain unconvinced and say the mystery remains unofficially unsolved.

A monument to the nine hikers was erected in the Mikhailovskoe Cemetery at Yekaterinburg. Perhaps there lay the only ones who know the full truth of what happened that mysterious night in the Dyatlov Pass.

Featured Image Credit:

Topics: News, World News, Weird