To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Man who vanished nearly 30 years ago found alive in neighbour's cellar

Man who vanished nearly 30 years ago found alive in neighbour's cellar

Omar Bin Omran had been just 300 feet from his family home all of this time

A man who vanished nearly three decades ago when he was just 17 has been found alive in his neighbour's cellar.

Omar Bin Omran suddenly disappeared from the Algerian city of Djelfa in 1997, while en route to a vocational school, according to local media - leaving his family fearing he was dead.

His loved ones presumed that the then-youngster had been killed in the crossfire of the civil war, which raged between the government and rebel groups for 10 years after kicking off in the early 1990s.

But the answer to the mystery of the missing man lied a lot a closer to home - in fact, it was just 300 feet from where the family lived.

Omar was rescued on 12 May after being missing for nearly three decades (EnnaharTv)
Omar was rescued on 12 May after being missing for nearly three decades (EnnaharTv)

On Sunday (12 May), Omar was rescued from his 61-year-old neighbour's property, 27 years after he initially disappeared.

The now-45-year-old, seen with a beard, is reported to have been in a hay-covered contraption similar to a 'sheep pen' in the cellar of the man's home.

Harrowing video footage of the moment Omar was found has been shared on social media, which shows him nervously looking upwards as a host of torches are shined towards him.

He looks noticeably different from other images which have began circulating online of him from his younger years, that show the clean-shaven young lad smiling as he sits beside a large dog.

It has been alleged that his whereabouts were only brought to light after the suspect's brother made claims on social media, hinting that the homeowner knew where Omar was while they argued over inheritance.

According to the Djelfa Attorney General’s Office, the 61-year-old man - who lived alone - was taken into custody.

Omar before his disappearance. (EnnaharTv)
Omar before his disappearance. (EnnaharTv)

Prosecutors say that cops stormed the property and found a trapdoor hidden underneath some hay which littered the floor, before opening it to find Omar.

He was rushed to a medical centre for evaluation where he is being given both physical and psychological treatments.

A court official in Djelfa told local media: "The suspect will be presented to the Public Prosecutor's Office immediately after the completion of the investigation."

He added that prosecutors intend to bring the full force of the law down on the perpetrator of the 'heinous crime', who will be tried with 'severity'.

The alleged abductor has also been accused of killing Omar's beloved dog, who was pictured with him as a teen.

Tragically, the missing man's mother passed away in 2013, according to locals.

A resident told Algerian TV station Bilad: "His poor mum died while he was in captivity, without knowing what had happened to him, without knowing that all this time he was really right beside her."

Featured Image Credit: EnnaharTv

Topics: Crime, News, True Crime, World News, Health, Mental Health