To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders
Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications
Featured Image Credit: PA Images / Alamy Stock Photo
Novak Djokovic has been banned from competing in the US Open over his Covid-19 vaccination stance.
The Serbian tennis star has held off getting the jab and explained how he believes the antibodies from contracting the virus late last year give him enough immunity.
However, officials at the US Open have declared they will be sticking to advice handed down by the federal government.
"Per the Grand Slam Rule Book, all eligible players are automatically entered into the men’s and women’s singles main draw fields based on ranking 42 days prior to the first Monday of the event," the policy stated.
"The US Open does not have a vaccination mandate in place for players, but it will respect the US government’s position regarding travel into the country for unvaccinated non-US citizens.”
At the moment, non-US citizens coming into the country are required to be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus.
Considering Djokovic has stated he has no intentions of getting the jab, it looks like his hopes of continuing his winning streak after claiming Wimbledon have been dashed.
The tennis player's stance on the Covid-19 vaccine saw him deported from Australia and banned from playing in the Australian Open.
The Guardian reports that while Djokovic's name has appeared on the US Open entry list, that's merely a formality and provides no indication that he's been cleared to play.
After beating Nick Kyrgios in the men's singles final of Wimbledon, the Serbian 33-year-old said he was hopeful he would be able to play at Flushing Meadows for the final Grand Slam of the year.
“As things stand now, I cannot travel to Australia and the United States, but I am hoping to get positive news,” he told RTS.
“I believe things will change for Australian Open. For the US Open there is not much time, but hope dies last.
"I would like to play at the US Open and Australia Open, but even if I do not it’s not the end of the world.”
But he indicated he definitely wanted to take some time for himself after his win in the UK.
“Whether or not I’m playing any tournament soon, I’ll definitely be resting for the next couple of weeks because it has been quite an exhausting and demanding period for me the last few months," he said in his post-Wimbledon press conference.
"A lot of tennis, which I was very happy about.
"I got what I wanted here.
“Then I’ll wait hopefully for some good news from USA because I would really love to go there.
"If that doesn’t happen, then I have to see what the schedule will look like.”