• Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • LAD Originals

U OK M8?
Free To Be
Extinct
Citizen Reef

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK

Shocking Moment Ground Explodes Beneath Man Building Fence In A Field

Daisy Phillipson

Published 
| Last updated 

Shocking Moment Ground Explodes Beneath Man Building Fence In A Field

Shocking footage shows the moment the ground explodes underneath a man in a fence-building job gone wrong. Check it out:

Loading…

The fencing contractor was attempting to build the fixture in a field in Wessington, Derbyshire, when a gas pipe burst, causing an explosion big enough to hurl him off the ground.

Speaking to DerbyshireLive, Alan Brown – the owner of the CCTV camera that captured the incident – said: "It’s my property to the edge but the field belongs to the farmer.

"The guy in the video is apparently a fencing contractor to the farmer. In some of my longer footage you can see him running down the field so I think he’s ok."

It is believed that the accident, which unfolded on Tuesday 21 June, was behind the dozens of Wessington homes that were evacuated on the same day due to a ruptured gas main.

As engineers worked to solve the issue, Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service evacuated approximately 30 homes, while other residents were told to keep their doors and windows closed at the time.

The man had been building a fence when he hit a gas pipe. Credit: Facebook/Alan Brown
The man had been building a fence when he hit a gas pipe. Credit: Facebook/Alan Brown

Adding to this, a spokesperson for gas distribution network Cadent told the outlet: "Cadent engineers worked through the night on an emergency repair after a pipe was hit by a third party on Brackenfield Lane in Wessington on the morning of 21 June.

"Our teams have made everything safe and remain on site to complete the repair work.

"There has been no interruption to the local gas supply. Households that were evacuated yesterday as a safety precaution have now been able to return home. We’d like to thank everyone for their patience."

They continued: "This was a great response by the emergency services, including our team, in making sure everyone was kept safe.

"If you ever smell gas, here or anywhere, it is important to act immediately and call the national gas emergency service on 0800 111 999. All calls are recorded and may be monitored."

The publication added that it's believed the man in the video didn't suffer any injuries as a result of the incident.

Brown's post including the video of the explosion has since gone viral, with thousands of people commenting on the shocking footage.

It's believed he walked away from the accident unscathed. Credit: Facebook/Alan Brown
It's believed he walked away from the accident unscathed. Credit: Facebook/Alan Brown

"He was very lucky that's for sure," wrote one, while another quipped, "That's gonna be an expensive fine."

A third said: "I’m glad the man is unharmed, and or the houses it’s right next to with people living in. Very close call. Especially if a spark from that engine ignited it."

Featured Image Credit: Facebook/Alan Brown

Topics: UK News, Viral

Daisy Phillipson
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Community

Lad bumps into hotel cleaner who took guest's drugs and spaced out on bed in 'k-hole'

9 minutes ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Woman will have her corpse dissected on television in 'world first' tonight

21 hours ago