ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Fans Concerned After Squid Games Star Makes Statement About 'Unnecessary' Season 2
Home>Entertainment
Published 16:17 19 Jun 2022 GMT+1

Fans Concerned After Squid Games Star Makes Statement About 'Unnecessary' Season 2

The comments have sparked fears that the second series won't reach the heights of the first, which took the world by storm last year

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The first series of Squid Game left fans all over the world baying for more - but an update from one of the show's stars may temper expectations ahead of possible future seasons.

A second series has unofficially been 'announced' by Netflix, as the streaming service's CEO, Fred Sarandos, stated that 'the Squid Game universe has just begun' earlier this month.

However, amid concerns from some fans that a follow up won't reach the incredible heights of the first, star Lee Jung-jae appeared to echo such sentiments in a recent interview.

During a conversation with PEOPLE earlier this week, Lee even claimed that Squid Game's creator, producer and director, Hwang Dong-hyuk hasn't yet mapped out a full story-line for the assumed second season.

Advert

Alamy

“It feels like he’s [Dong-hyuk] really struggling to write the script," Lee said.

“I actually wanted to ask director Hwang about it too,” he said of what to expect in season two.

The South Korean thriller was the surprise smash hit of 2021, breaking records for streams and watch time on Netflix.

Such immediate success left many viewers to ponder whether the same magic could possibly be captured in future episodes.

A recent article in The Gamer added to these fears, after the site published an article focusing on the damaging affect that unnecessary sequels can have on beloved 'one season wonder' TV dramas.

However, while Lee's comments about a possible second season are cause for concern for many, the man himself maintains that he's very much looking forward to seeing what Hwang and the rest of the creative team can conjure up.

Squid Game (Alamy)
Squid Game (Alamy)

“But you know, when there’s this present that you want... you’re waiting for that [and] you’re so excited to get it, you don’t want to have it little by little," Lee added.

"You want the whole package at once, so I’m just waiting for director Hwang to give me the whole scenario, and I’m really excited for it.”

Lee confirmed at that Hwang 'has a lot of different ideas' even if the structure of the series isn't fully fleshed out yet.

The director has already teased some information about the second series, by conceding that the protagonist, Go-hun, and its masked antagonist The Front Man will both be returning for it.

Netflix has also announced the launch of a new reality spin-off show based on the hit series, titled "Squid Game: The Challenge". It will see members of the public take part in Squid Game-like challenges, with the eventual winner pocketing a prize of $4.5 million.

Do you want to play a game? Enter to join Squid Game: The Challenge at https://t.co/MaXfZnqmvb pic.twitter.com/6gYLXlplDC

— Netflix (@netflix) June 14, 2022

As for the drama series, very little else is known about the future of the franchise that continues to enthral audiences around the globe.

Fans will just hope that Squid Game's eventual return will be worth the wait.

Featured Image Credit: Netflix

Topics: Netflix, TV and Film, World News, Celebrity

Tom Fenton
Tom Fenton

Recommended reads

How Nicholas Cage blew $150 million fortune and was left on brink of bankruptcy despite stardomAmy Sussman/GettyFreddie Mercury left final gift to daughter that was hidden away for 48 yearsPete Still/RedfernsFitness instructor explains three side effects that happen after going cold turkey on creatineGetty StockSecrets of Ancient Egypt's biggest cult unearthed with latest discovery of 3,500-year-old tombEgyptian Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities

Advert

Choose your content:

13 mins ago
14 mins ago
an hour ago
  • Amy Sussman/Getty
    13 mins ago

    How Nicholas Cage blew $150 million fortune and was left on brink of bankruptcy despite stardom

    The actor admitted he even took on 'crummy' movies as he worked to pay off his debts

    Entertainment
  • Pete Still/Redferns
    14 mins ago

    Freddie Mercury left final gift to daughter that was hidden away for 48 years

    His alleged daughter first spoke up last year to suggest Mercury was her father

    Entertainment
  • Shane Anthony Sinclair/Getty Images for Paramount Plus
    an hour ago

    Tom Hardy's MobLand co-star Helen Mirren spoke out after reports of on-set feud

    A report from earlier today revealed Tom Hardy was fired from MobLand ahead of the third season

    Entertainment
  • Netflix
    an hour ago

    Duffer Brothers' new 'Stranger Things with OAPs' is ready for you to binge on Netflix this weekend

    The Boroughs has had rave reviews already, recommended for lovers of 'Stranger Things, The Goonies and Spielberg'

    Entertainment
  • What Jenna Ortega said about Wednesday castmate axed from season 2 after controversy as season 3 confirmed
  • Squid Game creator confirms he has huge spin off idea as season three drops on Netflix
  • Misse Beqiri says TOWIE star Jake Hall will 'live on through' his daughter following his death aged 35
  • Maya Jama makes comment about ‘boob job allegations’ after she set record straight