| Last updated
Well, well, well, it has NOT been a good day for Conor 'The Notorious' McGregor. First Dana White confirms that he's been stripped of his UFC Lightweight Title and now he's allegedly been caught up in a semi-public altercation at the Barclays Centre in New York City.
MMAFighting journalist Ariel Helwani has fired off a series of tweets about what allegedly happened.
"Conor McGregor and members of his team showed up at the Barclays Center at the very end of media day moments ago. There was an altercation with some of the departing fighters who are competing on the card," Helwani wrote on Twitter.
"I'm told from people who were in the van that as the van was driving off, they started banging on the windows before security broke it all up. I'm told that chairs were thrown through the van window and one passenger on the van was injured.
I'm told some of the fighters who were on the van are "shaken up." They are still at the arena and Dana White, as well as local authorities, are there now.
- Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) April 5, 2018
"I'm told [Michael] Chiesa's cut is on his face. Unclear how serious it is at this time. Most of the fighters have left the arena and are on their way back to the hotel, if not there already."
Footage of the brawl has been uploaded onto MMA fighter Felice Herrig's Instagram story with the caption: "Conor McGregor causing trouble."
The press conference that preceded the melee was for UFC 223 which will be at the Barclays Center this weekend. Ever since UFC announced that Khabib and Tony Ferguson would be fighting for the title at UFC 223 it's been expected that it meant McGregor, who won the belt in November 2016 and hasn't fought in UFC since, would be losing the title.
However White had not previously made it official during the build-up to the fight. Confusion reigned even more prominently when Ferguson was replaced by featherweight champion Max Holloway because of injury.
Finally, the UFC president has confirmed McGregor will no longer hold the title, saying at the fight's press conference: "We're not stripping Tony Ferguson. Tony Ferguson isn't being stripped, the only one that's losing a belt here is Conor. Conor is losing the belt. These two are fighting for the belt.
"The interim these two were supposed to fight for, fight doesn't happen, now one of these guys will be the champion. Tony is still the number one contender."
McGregor responded to the move on social media in his typical fashion, writing: "You'll strip me of nothing you's do-nothing c**ts."
Featured Image Credit: PA/Felice Herrig
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read