ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Cillian Murphy and Emily Blunt walk out of Oppenheimer UK premiere in ‘solidarity’
Home>Entertainment>TV
Updated 21:05 13 Jul 2023 GMT+1Published 20:32 13 Jul 2023 GMT+1

breaking

Cillian Murphy and Emily Blunt walk out of Oppenheimer UK premiere in ‘solidarity’

The stars of Oppenheimer left the premiere prematurely as actors are set to strike alongside Sag-Aftra writers

Gregory Robinson

Gregory Robinson

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Cillian Murphy and Emily Blunt walked out of the UK premiere of Oppenheimer in solidarity with striking writers.

The lead actors starring in Christopher Nolan’s acclaimed and highly anticipated war film, left the event early.

“You’ve seen them here earlier on the red carpet,” Nolan told the cinema’s audience today (13 July).

Advert

“Unfortunately, they’re off to write their picket signs for what we believe to be an imminent strike by SAG-AFTRA (Screen Actors Guild - American Federation of Television and Radio Artists), joining one of my guilds, the Writers Guild, in the struggle for fair wages for working members of the unions, and we support them.”

Emily Blunt said they would walk out if a strike was called.
Eamonn M. McCormack/Getty Images for Universal Pictures / Neil Mockford/FilmMagic

Before the screening, the actors had walked the red carpet and chatted with fans and the press in attendance.

SAG-AFTRA, an American labour union representing approximately 160,000 film and television actors and other media workers, approved a strike on Thursday.

This now means that actors and writers, the latter of whom have already been on strike, will put a pause on their working commitments simultaneously, which hasn’t happened in 60 years and effectively shutting down Hollywood.

The decision for the strike came hours after contract negotiations with companies like Amazon, Disney and Warner Bros., failed to reach an agreement before the Wednesday (12 July) midnight deadline.

Now, SAG-AFTRA’s members have been approved to strike, joining screenwriters who have been picketing against working conditions since May.

Emily Blunt told Deadline during the red carpet event before the screening that she and the other cast members would leave if a walkout was approved.

She said: “I think right now we are just sort of - I hope everyone makes a fair deal and we are here to celebrate this movie. "And if they call [a strike], we’ll be leaving together as cast in unity with everyone. … We are gonna have to. We are gonna have to. We will see what happens. Right now it’s the joy to be together.”

Cillian Murphy and Emily Blunt left the UK premiere early.
Eamonn M. McCormack/Getty Images for Universal Pictures / Neil Mockford/FilmMagic

In a press conference on Thursday (13 July), SAG National Executive Director and Chief Negotiator, Duncan Crabtree-Ireland, said: “Because the AMPTP [Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers] remains unwilling to offer a fair deal on key issues essential to protecting the livelihoods of working actors and performers, SAG-AFTRA’s national board unanimously voted to issue a strike order against studios and streamers."

The landmark decision is the first time since 1960 that both actors and writers have joined the picket line in film and television productions, and comes after the actor's union released a statement announcing that contract talks ended last night without a resolution.

Writers Guild of America writers are striking to protest for increased funding and job security and to limit the use of AI in writing.

Featured Image Credit: Eamonn M. McCormack/Getty Images for Universal Pictures / Neil Mockford/FilmMagic

Topics: Celebrity, Cillian Murphy, TV and Film, Emily Blunt, UK News

Gregory Robinson
Gregory Robinson

Recommended reads

Mackenzie Shirilla's final texts with boyfriend before his death revealedMackenzie Shirilla/InstagramPete Davidson and John Mulaney share lies they told to 'bombed' SNL hostsNetflixParents who abandoned children 'blindfolded in woods' heard opera singing in first court appearanceFILIPE AMORIM / AFP via Getty ImagesKatie Price’s husband Lee Andrews 'locked up in Dubai prison' after vanishing 11 days agoKatie Price/Instagram

Advert

  • Emily Blunt explained why Cillian Murphy is the 'worst celebrity in the world'
  • Emily Blunt gives urgent 'please stop' warning after being shown picture of actress
  • Emily Blunt ‘almost killed’ Cillian Murphy in deleted Oppenheimer scene
  • Cillian Murphy pays tribute to 'dear friend' Helen McCrory

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • Netflix
    an hour ago

    Pete Davidson and John Mulaney share lies they told to 'bombed' SNL hosts

    The SNL stars admitted some celebrity guests simply wouldn't get it when they'd done badly as they had 'actor face'

    Entertainment
  • Katie Price/Instagram
    2 hours ago

    Katie Price’s husband Lee Andrews 'locked up in Dubai prison' after vanishing 11 days ago

    It was previously claimed that the 'missing' husband of Katie Price had been kidnapped

    Entertainment

    breaking

  • Matt Winkelmeyer/WireImage
    2 hours ago

    Stranger Things stars address Conformity Gate theory over 'secret final episode'

    Vecna himself reckons the idea of a 'fake' Stranger Things finale was 'f**king crazy'

    Entertainment
  • Scott Kowalchyk/CBS via Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Stephen Colbert makes one final jab at controversial network as he finally leaves TV show

    The show was cancelled last year in what was described as purely a 'financial decision'

    Entertainment