Tesco Shopper Terrified After Packet Of Bananas Contains 'Deadly Spider'
Two shoppers shared their horror after one discovered a massive spider and the other found some spider eggs in their packets of bananas.
Geoff Greenwood was stunned when he found the creature lurking among the fruit he had bought from a branch of Tesco in Kidderminster, Worcestershire.
But this was no ordinary spider. According to one expert, it's 'highly likely' that it was the Brazilian Wandering Spider, which often hides in banana plants.
The arachnids are one of the world's most venomous spiders, whose poison can kill in just two hours - but not before causing their victim to suffer an agonising erection. Ouch.
Speaking about the bizarre find, dad-of-two Geoff said: "We noticed it when we were unpacking the shopping in the kitchen. We think it was dead - it looked like it had been squished when we packed our shopping bags.
"I contacted Tesco straight away and got on social media to tell other people to be extra vigilant, in case they were in other packs.
"I've been told it could have been a deadly spider, so I'm very glad it was dead by the time we became aware of it."
The 40-year-old added: "Unfortunately, the entire episode has put the kids off bananas now. They're terrified of spiders."
Following the discovery, Mr Greenwood said Tesco had sent the packaging to specialists to identify the spider and that he was waiting for a response.
More Like ThisMore Like This
However, expert Adam Fairley, from JP Pest Control, said: "It's a very high chance it's a young Brazilian Wandering Spider. You can tell by the stripes on the legs which is usually a giveaway.
"They are very common in Costa Rica, where these bananas came from."
But Geoff wasn't the only one to get a bit of a fright while unpacking his shopping.
Mum-of-two Keeley Ballard spotted spider egg sacs on her bunch of Costa Rican bananas.
The 27-year-old said: "I couldn't bear to keep the bananas in the house after spotting the eggs. I've heard how dangerous these spiders can be.
"So I poured boiling water over the bunch and then threw them in the bin.
"I can't fault Tesco though. This is the only problem I've ever had the whole time I've been using their stores."
A Tesco spokesperson told LADbible: "We were sorry to hear about this and are investigating with our supplier. There are strict controls in place to ensure that all our bananas are washed and inspected prior to packing so we are looking into what happened."
Featured Image Credit: Geoff Greenwood/John Siddle
Topics: UK News
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read