• Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • LAD Originals

U OK M8?
Free To Be
Extinct
Citizen Reef

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK
Advert
Advert
Advert

Aussie rollercoaster crash victim dealt fresh blow for Christmas

Charisa Bossinakis

Published 
| Last updated 

Aussie rollercoaster crash victim dealt fresh blow for Christmas

The woman who was hit by a rollercoaster will not be heading home for Christmas.

As per News.com.au, Shylah Rodden, who was hit by a rollercoaster in September at the Royal Melbourne Show, will spend Christmas in the hospital as she continues to recover from her horrific injuries.

Despite the end-of-year festivities, Rodden will be confined to her hospital bed as she continues down the long road to recovery after she was collected by a rollercoaster carriage in September.

On September 25, the 26-year-old was hit by the ride that was moving up to 70km per hour (43.4 miles per hour) when she was trying to retrieve her phone, The Herald Sun reports.

Advert

She was then dragged and hurled into the air by the Rebel Coaster, falling from around nine meters (29.5 feet) in the air.

Credit: Mitty Theme Parks/YouTube
Credit: Mitty Theme Parks/YouTube

As a result, she suffered severe injuries to her head, pelvis, arms, legs and back.

Since then, Shylah has remained in a stable condition after waking up from a medically induced coma last month.

Advert

Her condition was moved from ‘critical’ to ‘serious’ on October 11, according to the Melbourne newspaper.

Her downgraded condition was welcome news for her family, with doctors telling her parents that they had ‘haven’t seen anything as bad as [her injuries] for a long time’, news.com.au reports.

But despite the small win in her improving condition, a person close to Shylah told the outlet that she is not entirely ‘out of the woods’.

While speaking to news.com.au, Australian Institute of Health and Safety chair Naomi Kemp said the young woman was not to blame for the accident.

Advert
Credit: shylah.rodden/Facebook
Credit: shylah.rodden/Facebook

“In this scenario it’s actually not the operation of the ride itself that was unsafe but the impact of a pedestrian,” she said.

“We not only have to think about the safety of the ride but also the safety area around the ride that it’s operating in.”

She added: “Ride operators need to go through the process of ‘have we got the all clear to operate?’ And ‘is the zone clear?’”

Advert

WorkSafe is currently investigating the incident with the assistance of detectives from the Yarra Crime Investigation Unit.

However, so far, it’s been confirmed that the rollercoaster had no technical issues.

A GoFundMe launched by a close friend of Shylah’s has already raised more than AUD $22,000 (£12,190), which will go towards her extensive treatment and rehabilitation.

Featured Image Credit: Mitty Theme Parks/YouTube. shylah.rodden/Facebook

Topics: News, Australia

Charisa Bossinakis
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Boris Johnson quits as an MP

10 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Man mauled to death and eaten by shark off Egyptian tourist resort

21 hours ago