To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Council's 'Bonkers' Decision To Remove Park Daffodils In Case People Eat Them

Council's 'Bonkers' Decision To Remove Park Daffodils In Case People Eat Them

The daffodils at Roselyon Play Park will not return next year for health and safety reasons

A council in Cornwall has been branded ‘bonkers’ after they refused to plant more daffodils because they are poisonous and can give people diarrhoea if they eat them.

Locals accused St Blaise council of cutting down the flowers in Roselyon Play Park because of health and safety, although the council denies this.

A spokesperson said: "The daffodils at Polgover/Old Roselyon Play Area are still there."

However, they have confirmed that no more daffs will be planted because of the potentially toxic nature of the plants if eaten.

Still, that hasn’t stopped residents calling their decision ‘bewildering’ and ‘bonkers’.

The daffodils won't be replanted.

Last month, when we had that fool’s summer for a few days, the daffodils all came into bloom and looked ‘beautiful’ according to residents.

In fact, there were so many of them that the area of the park was nicknamed ‘Daffodil Walk’.

But, after recent play park inspection training, the decision was taken to remove the plants after they die out.

A spokesperson for the council said: “After recent play inspection training we were advised not to have daffodils in play areas as all parts of the daffodil can be poisonous.

''I brought this to the attention of the town council who said no more daffs should be planted but those that were there before the land was devolved to us would stay.

''The daffs are sporadic over a grassed area and once the flowers have died the grass will be cut.”

The park committee says the call is 'bonkers'.

A spokesperson for the Roselyon Play Park Committee said that the move was ‘preposterous’.

He said: “Are they going to put signs up saying don’t eat the daffodils next? This is totally bonkers.

''There have always been daffs in the park. It used to be an old orchard and there must have been about 1,000 flowers.

''Most of them have now been cut down. And to say that it’s because they are toxic to children if they eat them is crazy.”

It is worth remembering in this instance that daffodils are actually poisonous, and can cause health problems for people who eat them.

Not that anyone was likely to eat them, but you can never tell with these things.

A spokesperson for the South West Health Protection Unit said: “Daffodils are toxic and severe vomiting and diarrhoea can occur if eaten by mistake.

''Although very unpleasant, most people will recover fully without treatment.”

The fact is, they are poisonous.

People on social media have been up in arms about the decision to get rid of the flowers.

One person wrote: ''When I was in primary school every year we were given a daffodil bulb to grow, we got certificates for the best.

''Funny I don't remember trying to eat them or anyone being poisoned.

''This should be in the hands of the police, sheer vandalism, sack whoever made this bonkers decision.''

Another said: 'This is the most ridiculous actions from a town council I’ve ever heard of.

''Let’s get rid of all the bees and wasps, let’s make sure no one ever gets stung my a stinging nettle, let’s cut down all trees.''

You’re probably right to detect a note of sarcasm at the end there.

Featured Image Credit: SWNS

Topics: UK News, Weird, Health