Nando's, Burger King And Wagamama Among Restaurants Signing Up To Eat Out To Help Out Scheme
High street favourites Nando's, Burger King and Wagamama are among the restaurants who have confirmed they'll be signing up to the government's new Eat Out to Help Out scheme, which was announced earlier this week by Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak.
The scheme will give diners 50 percent off their meals up to £10 a head from Monday to Wednesday each week in August at participating restaurants.
Sunak confirmed Wagamama's involvement a couple of days ago, having popped down to a restaurant the day he announced the new campaign.
He wrote on Twitter: "Great to pop down to @wagamama_uk after the statement today.
"They've already bought more than 2,000 staff back from furlough and will be one of the many restaurants to benefit from the VAT cut and 'Eat Out to Help Out' vouchers."
Great to pop down to @wagamama_uk after the statement today.
They've already bought more than 2,000 staff back from furlough and will be one of the many restaurants to benefit from the VAT cut and 'Eat Out to Help Out' vouchers. pic.twitter.com/6DF08iuDYv
- Rishi Sunak (@RishiSunak) July 8, 2020
Burger King boss Alasdair Murdoch has also said the chain would be taking part.
Speaking on the BBC's Coronavirus Newscast podcast, he said: "We'll certainly be embracing it, as long as we can understand the terms and conditions and work them out.
"But I would think it's extremely likely that we would do it."
More Like This
The Sun reports the deal will be available to use on top of other promotions, meaning you'll still be able to collect Nando's points when you order.
Pizza Hut has signed up, too.
Kathryn Austin, Chief People and Marketing officer at Pizza Hut Restaurants, commented saying: "We're delighted to start re-opening our restaurants across the UK this week.
"The new Eat Out to Help Out scheme, announced yesterday by Rishi Sunak, will also help us reunite guests with their Pizza Hut favourites and we look forward to updating everyone on how this will work once we receive further government guidance."
Italian chain Prezzo is also on board, having confirmed that customers will be able to enjoy 50 percent off in its restaurants on Twitter.
Thanks, Mr Chancellor! :raised_hands:
Did you hear the exciting news? The new 'Eat Out to Help Out' discount will get you all 50% off up to the value of £10 on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays in Prezzo restaurants next month :yum::pizza:
Roll on August! pic.twitter.com/ZV2rLPVm4i
- @love_prezzo (@love_prezzo) July 9, 2020
According to The Mirror, other big names include All Bar One, Browns, Frankie and Benny's and Harvester, while The Sun also reports Toby Carvery will be joining in as well.
Of course, these are just a few names to have signed up already, but according to the government website, any business can register if the establishment: sells food for immediate consumption on the premises; provides its own dining area or shares a dining area with another establishment for eat-in meals; was registered as a food business with the relevant local authority on or before 7 July. Businesses can register from 13 July.
Sunak told the Commons during his economic update: "Meals eaten at any participating business, Monday to Wednesday, will be 50 percent off, up to a maximum discount of £10 per head for everyone, including children.
"Businesses will need to register, and can do so through a simple website, open next Monday. Each week in August, businesses can then claim the money back, with the funds in their bank account within five working days."
Featured Image Credit: Wagamama/Facebook