To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Man left with ‘star shaped eyes’ after accident at work

Man left with ‘star shaped eyes’ after accident at work

This bloke took seeing stars to a new level after suffering a horror accident at work.

This bloke has took seeing stars to a new level - as a horror accident at work left him with ‘star shaped eyes’.

Hold off on the jokes about him easily taking home the crown on Stars in Their Eyes, as it's a super serious matter.

The 42-year-old man really did have a tough day on the job and ended up clocking off with star-shaped cataracts.

The news of his bizarre condition first hit the headlines back in 2014 when the case was published in the Jan. 23 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.

But the incident had actually happened a decade before that - however, the bloke was still suffering with vision problems in both of his eyes over ten years later.

The unnamed electrician was working on a job in California when he ended up being zapped by a terrifying 14,000 volts during his shift.

His shoulder had accidentally come into contact with a live wire, causing the high voltage current to surge through his body - and it didn't discriminate when it crossed paths with his optic nerve.

The man was left with star-shaped burns on his eyes.
The New England Journal of Medicine

This is made up of millions of nerve fibres which transmits electrical impulses from your eyes to your brain and this sensory information is then processed, allowing us to see.

The 14,000 volts obviously left him pretty fried - especially on his two eyeballs.

He was left with a pair of star-shaped electrical burns on his eyes, according to The New England Journal of Medicine. Ouch.

Dr Bobby Korn, an associate professor of clinical ophthalmology at the University of California, treated the patient for the strange medical condition.

He told NBC: "The optic nerve is similar to any wire that conducts electricity.

"In this case, the extreme current and voltage that passed through this important natural wire caused damage to the optic nerve itself."

The electrician accidentally brushed up against a live wire while on the job.
Getty stock image

After four weeks had passed since the on-site accident, the man complained that he was still experiencing vision problems.

A thorough examination found that he had 'striking cataracts in both of his eyes' in an unusual shape, according to Korn.

A cataract occurs when the lens of your eye becomes cloudy, causing your eyesight to become quite hazy, and they are the leading cause of blindness.

Four months since he was electrocuted, the patient underwent surgery to remove the cataracts in favour of a new lens, which helped his vision to improve slightly.

However, the damage to his optic-nerve is something which couldn't be remedied - meaning his sight was still limited.

Korn said the patient still reported these problems a whopping ten years after the incident.

Featured Image Credit: The New England Journal of Medicine

Topics: US News, Health, Jobs, Weird