To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Mum who woke up from surgery with no limbs starts first day of therapy

Mum who woke up from surgery with no limbs starts first day of therapy

The mum had her limbs amputated after suffering from an infected kidney stone.

A mum who had all four of her limbs amputated after suffering from an infected kidney stone has just started physical therapy.

Lucinda 'Cindy' Mullins, 41, from Kentucky, underwent routine surgery to have a kidney stone removed last month, but unfortunately it became infected and led to sepsis.

At first, Mullins was taken to Fort Logan Hospital in Stanford, Kentucky, and then to the University of Kentucky hospital in Lexington to remove the stone from her body.

Lucinda Mullins had to have her limbs amputated after developing sepsis.

However, tragically, doctors had to amputate all four of her limbs due to the sepsis.

Sepsis is a life-threatening reaction to an infection and happens when your immune system starts to damage your body's own tissues and organs.

Sharing updates on Lucinda's GoFundMe page earlier this week, sister Luci Smith revealed the mum had her first day of therapy on 3 January, saying: “She had a great first day of therapy! She was so excited and did so well. Keep the prayers coming!"

She later added: "Cindy had another great day of therapy. She also had a wonderful visitor that brought her some delicious sweets. Let’s pray that every day gets a little bit better."

Lucinda has just started therapy.

Speaking about her ordeal, Lucinda explained she was just 'so happy to be alive' after being diagnosed with sepsis.

"I just said these are the cards I've been dealt and these are the hands I'm going to play," she told LEX 18.

"I'm just so happy to be alive. I get to see my kids. I get to see my family. I get to have my time with my husband."

The mum also spoke about community support she had received, thanking everyone for their encouragement.

"At one time I think they told 40 people were in the waiting room here," she said.

"The calls and the texts, the prayers and the things people have sent. The little words of encouragement."

The mum has said she's just happy to be alive following the ordeal.

Luci added: “We would like to thank everyone again for all of the support, love, prayers, cards, food and visits (her favourite) You guys are amazing.

“... Each day is a blessing from God and we will continue to praise him for the miracles he has performed. Today she got to leave the room and we ventured outside for some fresh crisp air. Keep praying and she'll keep fighting until we are finally home.”

A GoFundMe page has been set up for the family, to help with the necessary adjustments needed for their home, as well as prosthetics and other equipment for Lucinda.

It has so far raised over $200,000 (£156,000). You can donate here.

Featured Image Credit: GoFundMe/MiraclesForMullins

Topics: Health, US News