The first photos have been released showing the remains of the Titanic sub being taken ashore.
Last week, a huge search and rescue operation was launched after the tiny submersible, carrying five passengers, disappeared.
The trip, which was organised by OceanGate, set off on Sunday (18 June) but concerns were raised after the vessel lost contact with crew on the surface less than two hours into its descent to the wreck of the Titanic.
Despite the best efforts of the US Coast Guard and other organisations, on Thursday (22 June), it was revealed that debris had been found in the search area.
The Coast Guard stated that the most likely scenario was that the vessel, named Titan, had suffered a ‘catastrophic implosion’, and that everyone on board had died.
Now, following the tragic news, the first images of the debris discovered by the authorities have been released.
In the photos, large pieces of the Titan can be seen being taken ashore.
Following the search for the wreckage, the remains were unloaded from US Coast Guard ship Sycamore and the Horizon Arctic at the Canadian Coast Guard pier in St John's, Newfoundland.
The debris was discovered around 1,600 feet from the bow of the Titanic, it was reported.
During a press conference in Boston last week, Admiral John Mauger sent his condolences to the family of those lost.
He said: “This morning, an ROV, or remote operated vehicle from the vessel Horizon Arctic discovered the tail cone of the Titan submersible approximately 1,600ft from the bow of the Titanic on the sea floor.
“The ROV subsequently found additional debris.
“In consultation with experts from within the unified command, the debris is consistent with the catastrophic loss of the pressure chamber.
“Upon this determination, we immediately notified the families.
“On behalf of the United States Coast Guard and the entire unified command, I offer my deepest condolences to the families. I can only imagine what this has been like for them.
“And I hope that this discovery provides some solace during this difficult time.”
Mauger added: "This is an incredibly unforgiving environment down there on the sea floor and the debris is consistent with a catastrophic implosion of the vessel.
"We will continue to work and we will continue to search down there but I don't have an answer for prospects at this time..."
This comes after Transportation Safety Board of Canada said it would be launching an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the deaths.
Kathy Fox, chair of the Transportation Safety Board of Canada, told the media that the aim of the investigation wasn’t to assign blame for the tragedy, but to ‘find out what happened and why and to find out what needs to change to reduce the chance or the risk of such occurrences in the future’.Featured Image Credit: Associated Press/Alamy