ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
British actor Julian Sands’ family release statement 6 months after he first went missing
Home>News
Updated 12:37 24 Jun 2023 GMT+1Published 12:33 24 Jun 2023 GMT+1

British actor Julian Sands’ family release statement 6 months after he first went missing

Sands has been missing since January

Kit Roberts

Kit Roberts

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The family of missing actor Julian Sands have released a statement thanking rescuers for their efforts.

Sands disappeared while hiking in the San Gabriel mountains in January. Police confirmed that Sands, who is known for his roles in 1989 film Warlock, Naked Lunch (1991) and Ocean's 13 (2007), was last seen in the Mount Baldy on 13 January.

A search and rescue operation has been underway in that time, however, rescuers have previously had to pull out of the area due to risks of avalanche.

Now, Sands' family have released a statement thanking rescue teams for their efforts.

Advert

Julian Sands has been missing for around six months.
Associated Press / Alamy Stock Photo

They said: "We are deeply grateful to the search teams and coordinators who have worked tirelessly to find Julian.

“We continue to hold Julian in our hearts, with bright memories of him as a wonderful father, husband, explorer, lover of the natural world and the arts, and as an original and collaborative performer.”

The statement was released in a tweet by the San Bernardino County Sheriff, saying: "Although missing hiker, Julian Sands, was not located during the recent search mission, the case remains active. We want to thank all the individuals who assisted in the June 17th search and the previous search missions."

A statement released by San Bernardino County Sheriff’s department at the time said: "On Friday, January 13, at about 7:30 pm, a hiker, identified as 65-year-old Julian Sands of North Hollywood was reported missing in the Baldy Bowl area.

Mount Baldy.
Yuval Helfman/Alamy

“Sheriff’s Department Search and Rescue crews responded and began a search. Because of avalanche risks and trail conditions, the ground crews were pulled off the mountain on Saturday evening.

“However, we continue to search by helicopter and drones when the weather permits.”

Sands had previously spoken about his passion for mountain climbing, telling the Yorkshire Post: "And, you know what? Mountain climbing and film making are very connected.

"There’s always another mountain. And ultimately the point of climbing a mountain is that the mountain is within. And I think that’s true, too, of the acting experience."

The actor's family have released a statement.
PA Images / Alamy Stock Photo

Search and rescue operations have been hampered for months due to weather conditions in the region. The search had involved helicopters, and drones as well as some 80 staff, deputies, and volunteers.

Despite Sands still remaining missing, the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Departments confirmed that the case is still 'active' in a tweet.

Several people have previously died while on the trails in the area. In 2019 the Sreenivas Mokkapati, 52, of Irvine, died after losing his group on the mountain.

Featured Image Credit: Associated Press / PA Images / Alamy Stock Photo

Topics: UK News, US News, Celebrity

Kit Roberts
Kit Roberts

Kit joined LADbible Group in 2023 as a community journalist. They previously worked for StokeonTrentLive, the Daily Mirror, and the Daily Star.

Recommended reads

Footage of Mackenzie Shirilla's crash route reveals crucial detail that proves her guiltInstagram/Mackenzie ShirillaMackenzie Shirilla doc has 'way more detail' than The Crash and convinces her murder was intentionalHuluGTA 6 release date officially confirmed in latest update from Take-TwoRockstar‘Chia seed challenge' comes with serious warning as expert wants against ‘internal cleanse’Getty Stock Image

Advert

Choose your content:

8 hours ago
9 hours ago
  • ITV
    8 hours ago

    Boris Johnson's wife Carrie recalls moment she was drugged by 'black cab rapist' John Worboys

    Carrie Johnson said many women might not realise they had been drugged by John Worboys

    News
  • WSMV 4
    8 hours ago

    Man jailed for Charlie Kirk Facebook meme wins $835,000 settlement

    Larry Bushart spent 37 days in jail for sharing memes about Charlie Kirk

    News
  • Getty Stock Images
    9 hours ago

    Ozempic and Mounjaro users risk £1,000 fine if driving while taking GLP-1 medicines

    A pharmacist says drivers using GLP-1 drugs might need to declare certain side effects to the DVLA

    News
  • Netflix
    9 hours ago

    Secret language Mackenzie Shirilla used with mum during police interview in alarming footage

    Cops later worked out what the killer driver had been saying to her mother Natalie

    News
  • Mum of British woman, 23, shot dead by dad after ‘row about Trump’ hits out at police
  • British tourist who went missing in Thailand found on life support fighting for his life
  • What we know about British mum whose ‘heart went missing’ as medical report rules death as food poisoning
  • Family of teenager who died weeks after being released from jail in Dubai release statement