ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Qantas Boss Says Western Australia Is Acting Like 'North Korea'
Home>News
Published 02:32 4 Feb 2022 GMT

Qantas Boss Says Western Australia Is Acting Like 'North Korea'

Alan Joyce has lashed out at WA Premier Mark McGowan for keeping his state closed off from the rest of Australia.

Stewart Perrie

Stewart Perrie

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The head of Qantas has lashed out at Western Australia's closed border policy.

Alan Joyce likened the western state to North Korea for shutting itself off from the rest of the country for the majority of the coronavirus pandemic.

WA Premier Mark McGowan has stood firm on his decision to refuse entry to people unless under the most extreme set of circumstances.

He believes in a Covid-19-zero approach to tackling the virus and has kept the borders closed to ensure they don't get an explosion of cases like has been seen in the eastern states.

It's caused heartbreak and homesickness for people across Australia who are desperate to get across the border.

Alan Joyce is also furious.

REUTERS/David Gray

Speaking on Nine Radio, the Qantas boss said: "We are supposed to be all Australians, you can't even travel around your own country.

"And there is not a plan in Western Australia for when that is going to open up. It is starting to look like North Korea.

"The fact that you can travel to London but you can't travel to Perth, I think there is something fundamentally wrong with the federation."

Premier McGowan has faced a heavy amount of criticism for his border policy and approach to the pandemic, however he hasn't wavered or caved to the public pressure.

The state was meant to be opening their border to the rest of Australia tomorrow (February 5), however they made the heartbreaking decision to push that back in early January.

Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria had been recording tens of thousands of new cases each day for several weeks and that led to them being listed as an 'Extreme Risk'.

Western Australian Government

The Northern Territory was the final straw in the West's eyes and Premier McGowan added the region to the Extreme Risk category, which saw every state and territory in Australia listed that high.

Premier McGowan said it's in Western Australia's best interests to shut themselves off from the rest of the country to ensure there isn't a similar spike in infections.

"We have moved swiftly on Northern Territory, to reduce the risk of more Omicron cases in self-quarantine," the Premier said.

"We know the Omicron variant is spreading rapidly around much of the country and unfortunately the Northern Territory is now too seeing an accelerating caseload in the community."

Premier McGowan hasn't given an update on when the new border reopening will take place.

Featured Image Credit: Hugh Peterswald/Alamy Live News

Topics: Australia

Stewart Perrie
Stewart Perrie

Stewart Perrie is a Trending Journalist at LADbible. His first job was as a newsreader and journalist at the award winning Sydney radio station, Macquarie Radio. He was solely responsible for the content broadcast on multiple stations across Australia when the MH17, Germanwings and AirAsia disasters unfolded. Stewart has covered the conflict in Syria for LADbible, interviewing a doctor on the front line, and has contributed to the hugely successful UOKM8 campaign.

X

@stewartperrie

Recommended reads

Gina Carano earned an absolute fortune for her 17-second MMA fight with Ronda RouseyGettyMum of toddler who went missing in Greece 35 years ago told UK police will no longer investigate the disappearance Police handout Katie Price’s husband Lee Andrews ‘officially declared missing person’ @wesleeandrews Elsie Hewitt says ‘she’s raising child on her own’ confirming Pete Davidson splitGetty

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
5 hours ago
14 hours ago
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Gina Carano earned an absolute fortune for her 17-second MMA fight with Ronda Rousey

    Ronda Rousey may have secured the win but they both secured the bag

    News
  • Police handout
    5 hours ago

    Mum of toddler who went missing in Greece 35 years ago told UK police will no longer investigate the disappearance

    Ben Needham vanished from the Greek island of Cos in 1991

    News
  • JIM WATSON/AFP via Getty Images
    14 hours ago

    Trump met with huge blow to White House ballroom plans after $1 billion proposal

    Money is being sought for security upgrades to the ballroom

    News
  • NASA
    14 hours ago

    Scientists baffled after mysterious blue flashes shining from space

    Now, they have a theory as to what might be causing the flash

    News