ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Man Gambles Away Massive Accidental Covid Payment In Japan
Home>News
Published 17:50 17 May 2022 GMT+1

Man Gambles Away Massive Accidental Covid Payment In Japan

The man received the equivalent of £287,000 in his bank account, money that was meant to be shared between 463 people

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A Japanese man is alleged to have gambled away a Covid relief fund that was intended to be shared between 463 people.

The 24-year-old is said to have received 46.3 million yen, which is the equivalent of just over £287,000. However, the recipient reportedly gambled all of it away on his phone, using several online casino sites.

While he initially agreed to cooperate with authorities, the man in question has since vanished.

Criminal action is now being considered against him, while a lawsuit is already underway by the town of Abu in the south of Japan.

Advert

It's in Abu where 463 low-income households would have received the vitally important 100,000 yen (£620) having been badly affected by the pandemic.

The man is alleged to have gambled away 46.3 million yen.
Unsplash

However, local reports revealed on Monday that all 46.3 million of the funding was deposited into one man's personal bank account on April 8, BBC News reports.

They also alleged that the man withdrew around 600,000 yen from the account every day for a fortnight.

By the time the authorities contacted him, he claimed the money was all gone.

"I've already moved the money. It can't be returned," he is quoted as saying. "It cannot be undone any more. I will not run. I will pay for my crime."

The unidentified individual's lawyer told the media that his client had agreed to be interviewed by local police.

However, that appears to have changed since the lawsuit was filed, as he hasn't been heard from publicly since.

The suit in total, filed by the Abu Municipal Government, is for 51 million yen – plus any legal fees that may accrue.

All of the funding was deposited into the man's account.
Pixabay

"I don't currently have the money and I don't have anything with property value at hand. It's actually difficult to return it," his personal lawyer quoted him as saying, according to BBC News.

Mayor Norihiko Hanada has informed residents he is 'deeply sorry' for the error, and his office 'will do our utmost to take back the large amount of public money'.

The story isn't the only case of Covid relief money allegedly being misused in Japan.

This time last year, the seaside town of Noto drew criticism for using funds from an emergency Covid-19 relief grant to build a giant statue of a squid.

According to BBC News, 25 million yen (£164,700) was used to construct the 13 metre-long squid – which is a local delicacy.

For help, support and advice about problem gambling, contact the National Gambling Helpline anytime on 0808 8020 133 

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Gambling, Coronavirus, World News

Tom Fenton
Tom Fenton

Recommended reads

Mackenzie Shirilla shares expert testimony from dismissed appeal which 'proves she had medical episode'Instagram/Mackenzie ShirillaHeartbreak as parents abandon children ‘blindfolded in woods’ on fake treasure huntNewsflashFive UK areas issued urgent heat alerts as Brits braced for record breaking heatwaveGetty Stock ImagesBarclays, NatWest and Santander issue free £200 alert for simple lifestyle changeMike Kemp/In Pictures via Getty Images

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Newsflash
    an hour ago

    Heartbreak as parents abandon children ‘blindfolded in woods’ on fake treasure hunt

    The two little lads sported backpacks filled with 'a change of clothes, a packet of biscuits, two pieces of fruit and a bottle of water'

    News
  • Getty Stock Images
    an hour ago

    Five UK areas issued urgent heat alerts as Brits braced for record breaking heatwave

    The bank holiday is set to be an absolute scorcher with hot weather warnings in place until Wednesday

    News
  • Marc Grimwade/Getty
    an hour ago

    Ian Watkins murder trial collapses as two prisoners accused of killing paedophile singer behind bars

    Ian Watkins was serving a 29-year sentence for child sexual offences when he was stabbed to death in his cell

    News

    breaking

  • PA
    2 hours ago

    Mum of three sisters who died in Brighton beach tragedy also died of drowning

    Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walters, 32, and Rebecca Walters, 31, were found dead on 13 May

    News
  • ‘Covid syndrome’ explained after parents with condition jailed for keeping kids in ‘house of horrors’
  • When you should worry about new Covid variant XFG.3 as strain with unexpected symptom spreads globally
  • New study reveals major worry as new Covid variant 'Stratus' spreads globally
  • 'Black box' explained as Covid vaccine 'to get FDA’s strongest warning'