Man Brought Back To Life After Being Pronounced Dead For 20 Minutes
A man who was dead for 20 minutes was brought back to life by doctors - something medical professionals have said was a 'miracle'.
Earlier this year, Michael Pruitt was working on a construction job in Livonia, Michigan, with his stepfather when a bolt of electricity went from a power light right through the ladder Pruitt had been holding.
"It was like a tase, but just so much more electricity and that's when everything just shut off,'' Pruitt, 20, told TODAY.
Thankfully, that day Pruitt and stepdad Keith Jacokes had been working at the home of Katelyn Vines, who just so happens to be a nurse - who ran outside and carried out CPR.
He was rushed by ambulance to Beaumont Hospital in Farmington Hills, where he remembers waking up trying to rip off the many tubes connected to him.
"It took like six or seven people to hold me down,'' Pruitt, from Taylor, said.
"I was just still going at it. And the doctors were saying how happy they were because (if) he's putting up this much of a fight, he's got to be still there."
Doctors fought to keep Pruitt alive, estimating he was without a pulse for a total of 20 minutes.
"He had no vital signs,'' Dr. Angela Chudler, an emergency medicine physician at Beaumont Hospital who treated Pruitt, said.
"So we had this young boy who's dead coming in."
Pruitt explained they got the defibrillator on, 'turned it up' and shocked him, and continued CPR until they managed to feel a pulse.
"I definitely would call it a miracle,'' she said.
"Luckily he went down at a nurse's home because [...] right away his heart was pumped, circulation was going through his body, through his brain, and without that you have no oxygen to your tissues, and he would've never been who he is today."
Pruitt continued: "I think I woke up that day because I just feel like it really wasn't my time to go because I'm destined to do greater things and help people.
"I've always told everyone I'm going to be a superhero one day, and then this happens. And I tell everyone, 'Yup, every superhero needs a good death'.''
His mother, Jillian Pruitt, added: "I think it's every parent's worst nightmare.
"I don't think you ever want that call that there's something wrong with your child."
The accident happened on 30 April, but Pruitt has since returned to the hospital to thank the staff for saving his life.
He even still has the trainers he was wearing when he was electrocuted, which have tiny holes in the front where the current exited from his feet.
"I still wear these shoes,'' he said.
"You know they have to be good shoes if you die in them and still can wear them."
Featured Image Credit: NBC