Hero Festival Goer Who Tried To Stop Travis Scott Concert Speaks Out
| Last updated
A hero festival-goer has spoken out after attempting to stop Travis Scott's Astroworld concert by climbing on top of a camera platform. Watch below:
Eight people died and many others were injured in a crowd surge at the Astroworld Festival during Scott's performance in Houston, Texas on Friday (5 November).
Ayden Cruz, 18, spoke to ABC on Tuesday (9 November) following footage of him standing on a ledge where a cameraman was filming the show and pleading for workers to try to help the people suffering in the crowd below.
Mr Cruz says he and his girlfriend had stayed close to the back of the standing section because he knew from other concerts where Scott performed that the crowd could get rowdy.
"It just becomes survival mode," he said.
"After the people had fallen down, the crowd moves and I fall down on top of them, like, back on top of their bodies and I could hear the people in agony.
"As I am falling down, I see Brianna and Xavier, who was holding her, from Heights High School, fall on their backs and people falling on top of us, falling on my legs, falling on my stomach, falling on my face.
"I could hear her saying, 'I can't breathe, I can't breathe' and I remember having so much weight on my body.
"I was pushing, I was fighting, and then I stopped because I was getting winded.
"I was using all the energy I had left in me, and I came to the point where I was accepting my death."
In the aftermath, a seemingly shook-up Travis Scott wrote on Twitter: "I'm absolutely devastated by what took place last night.
"My prayers go out to the families and all those impacted by what happened at Astroworld Festival.
"Houston PD has my total support as they continue to look into this tragic loss of life.
"I am committed to working together with the Houston community to heal and support families in need.
"Thank you to Houston PD, Fire Department and NRG Park for their immediate response and support."
The show was called off after several people began suffering injuries, and the second and final day of the festival was cancelled.
Officials transported 23 people to the hospital, including 11 who were in cardiac arrest, Pena said.
Around 300 people were treated for injuries such as cuts and bruises at the scene at NRG Park, where a field hospital had been set up.
Approximately 50,000 people were in attendance at the festival, Pena said.
Travis Scott will pay for the funeral costs of everyone who lost their lives.
Featured Image Credit: ABC News
Topics: travis scott