To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Customer shocked to find snake inside bag of broccoli

Customer shocked to find snake inside bag of broccoli

A grandfather had the fright of his life after purchasing the veggies from an Aldi branch in Stourbridge.

A shopper has had the fright of their life after discovering a snake in a bag of broccoli from Aldi.

Sky News reported that Neville Linton, 63, was ‘frightened’ to see the ladder snake nestled in the broccoli stem from a bag he picked up from an Aldi in Stourbridge in the West Midlands.

Oh, absolutely not.

The father of three had taken the bag of veggies out of the fridge to begin prepping a meal.


"It was pretty frightening. I'm not good with snakes," Mr Linton, from Birmingham, told the outlet.

"It's lucky I didn't just leave the broccoli out in the kitchen, or it would have been loose in the house.

"That would have been a huge risk for us because we have two vulnerable people living here."

Neville was understandably terrified of the snake, so he called his sister Ann-Marie Tenkanemin to come and give him a hand.

Neville and Ann-Marie put the snake in a tub, drove back to the Aldi where the broccoli had been initially bought, and presented it to a shop assistant.

We’re hoping they at least got a 25 per cent discount.

The snake was then taken to Dudley Zoo.

While Neville was compensated, he feared the snake could’ve attacked his mother and disabled son, who he lives with, as per Mirror.

He said: “It’s just not good enough – the implications for us if it had got out in the house are huge.

“Plus, I’m phobic of snakes so there’s the emotional impact of that too.”

A spokesperson has since issued a statement to Sky News, telling the outlet: "Our supplier has never had a complaint of this nature and has robust processes in place to prevent such issues occurring.

"We are investigating this isolated incident and have apologised to Mr Linton that our usual high standards were not met."

Of course, the internet was left spooked by the incident, as one Facebook user wrote: “That's it, another excuse not to eat broccoli....”

Another said: “Scared of broccoli now!”

While a third shared: “Found an earwig in mine..put me off for life.”

Featured Image Credit: SWNS

Topics: News, Shopping, Animals, UK News